Don Callahan/Inside Carolina

Change of Plans for UNC QB Commit Chazz Surratt

UNC quarterback pledge won't enroll this month as was originally planned.

North Carolina verbal commitment Chazz Surratt’s enrollment plans have changed again. According to his mother, Surratt won’t enroll this month.

“Everything is fine,” Brandi Surratt said. “We had been unsure about leaving early for several weeks and made the final decision [on Tuesday]. We just wanted to be sure he was 100-percent [healthy] when he gets there. It all happened so fast. 

“Although he is healing very fast, he’s been through a very traumatic event and injury. He’s handled it like a champ, but still our job is to ensure he is ready.”

In November, Surratt dislocated his left (throwing) elbow during Denver (N.C.) East Lincoln’s second round win over Wilkes Central (N.C.). UNC doctors determined that the injury didn’t require surgery. But, the 6-foot-3, 197-pound quarterback would need to spend the next five months rehabbing, which ended his football season prematurely and completely wiped out his senior basketball season. Since he already had enough credits to graduate in December, Surratt initially decided to enroll at UNC in the spring semester.

UNC’s midterm enrollees – which include Jordon Brown, Logan Byrd, J.B. Copeland, Myles Dorn, Jonathan Smith, Garrett Walston, and Myles Wolfolk – will begin arriving on campus this coming weekend. They'll then participate in spring practice. However, had he enrolled this month, Surratt would have had to sit out spring practice since he won't be cleared to throw until April at the earliest.

Having already graduated from East Lincoln, Surratt will enroll in the first summer semester, his mother said.

Surratt began rehabbing his injured elbow about a month ago. 

“I go two or three days a week,” Surratt said. “Right now, they’re just focusing on my range of motion. I have my full range of motion back now – that’s the first thing. Now, it’s just strengthening it.”

Although his high school career ended on a sour note, Surratt continues to fill his trophy case. Late last week, he was named the Associated Press high school Offensive Player of the Year for North Carolina.

“It’s definitely an honor to win an award like that,” Surratt said. “I have a lot of great teammates on my team and good coaches, and that helps. I’m definitely thankful for the people that helped me and it has attributed to all the success I’ve had.”

Surratt, who threw for 3,536 yards and 51 touchdowns and rushed for 1,345 yards and 15 scores during his senior season, was also named the state’s Gatorade Player of the Year and is a two-time AP All-State selection. He was selected to play in the Shrine Bowl last month, but had to watch N.C. beat South Carolina, 54-39, from the sidelines because of his injury.

“It definitely was a great experience being around some really great guys,” Surratt said. “It was great getting the ‘W’ – I thought we played really well. And it was for a good cause.”

Although Surratt’s recruitment has concluded, it doesn’t mean his surname will be absent from recruiting headlines. His younger brother, Sage, a 2017 receiver who was offered a football scholarship by UNC as well as a preferred walk-on opportunity from the Tar Heels’ basketball team, now takes center stage.

“He really wants to play basketball [in college],” Surratt said. “We’ll see after his junior year with what type of offers he gets in basketball and we’ll have a better idea of where he wants to go.”

Chazz doesn’t plan to recruit his brother.

“It’s his decision,” Surratt said. “I want him to come with me [to UNC], but at the end of the day it’s what’s best for him. I won’t push him and I’ll be happy either way.”


Inside Carolina Top Stories