Smith Center, Chapel Hill, N.C.
Tuesday, 8 p.m., no TV (CCU Radio Link)
CCU Pregame Notes
* Season to Date: The wins aren't against impressive foes (Marist, UNC-G, Campbell, etc.), so perhaps the highlights for CCU have been hanging close against superior opponents. They were down only three to Georgetown at halftime, lost by one point to College of Charleston and kept Virginia within reach.
* Player to Watch: Senior guard E.J. Gallup has been the team's top performer thus far this season, averaging 16.1 points per game, with 2.5 assists, 1.4 steals and has been deadly-accurate from three-point range, shooting at a 48-percent clip. "He gives us a player who the opponent has to continually worry about and know where he is, as he can knock it down from long range," said head coach Pete Strickland. Gallup had a season-high 30 points against the College of Charleston.
* Backcourt: Gallup and point guard Alvin Green are joined by guard Brandon Newby, who sat out last season with a knee injury. As the season has progressed, Newby has become more comfortable and has begun to hit his stride. While he was shutout in the loss to UVa, he has led the team in scoring in five games and has become the clear second scoring option on the perimeter.
* Frontcourt: While CCU runs with the three-guard lineup and lacks much bulk in the paint, the team has been encouraged by the emergence of 6-8, 220-pound senior center Anthony Susnjara. After a relatively unproductive season, Susnjara posted 12 points, 4 boards and 4 assists against UVa and has been in the starting lineup ever since.
* A Chanti-what?: According to the school, their nickname originates from Chaucer's Canterbury Tales. "A Chanticleer is a rooster who rules the barnyard with cunning and wit," says the CCU media guide. "His competitiveness never wanes as he battles to the end, using his brains to come out on top every time."
* Matchup History: This will be the first-ever game between UNC and Coastal Carolina.
Background Location: Conway, S.C. Enrollment: 6, 600 Conference: Big South Nickname: Chanticleers Colors: Coastal Green, Bronze & Black Head Coach: Pete Strickland Record at CCU: 51-98
Probable Starting Lineup: Alvin Green (5-9, 160, G, Jr.) – 5.2 ppg, 3.5 apg Brandon Newby (6-2, 166, G, Sr.) – 12.3 ppg, 4.6 rpg E.J. Gallup (6-4, 205, G, Sr.) – 16.1 ppg, 2.5 apg Clint Reed (6-6, 190, F, Sr.) – 6.5 ppg, 2.2 rpg Anthony Susnjara (6-8, 220, C, Sr.) – 2.9 ppg, 1.4 rpg Key Reserves: Mihai Raducanu (6-9, 225, C, Sr.) – 4.7 ppg, 2.6 rpg Kelvin Coggins (6-4, 200, F, Jr.) – 4.3 ppg, 2.3 rpg Antwan Green (6-5, 190, F, Sr.) – 3.9 ppg Colin Stevens (5-9, 160, G, Jr.) – 3.8 ppg Clint Nagel (6-7, 200, F, Jr.) – 3.6 ppg, 3.9 rpg Pele Paelay (6-4, 190, G, So.) – 3.5 ppg Moses Sonko (6-5, 205, F, Fr.) – 3.2 ppg, 2.6 rpg
Susnjara ... Newby
Raducanu ... Reed
(Photos by CCU and the AP.)