- On the first day of practice, there were no pads and no contact. Lots of individual drills by position, with some seven-on-seven for the offensive skill guys against the linebackers and secondary.
- Bunting expressed some key team goals as "learning football" and "mental toughness issues."
- Defense appeared ahead of the offense at this point in 7v7. Passes were deflected, with some interceptions, and DB's were breaking on the ball hard.
- At this point, first team LB's appear to be Jeff Longhany, Larry Edwards, and Doug Justice with a second team of Victor Worsley, Fred Sparkman, and Joe Kedra. Melik Brown also got some time at "Mike" LB.
- Position changes of note: Jacques Dumas to TE, Kendall High to OT, and Madison Hedgecock back to FB. Dumas and High are experimental to some extent with no final decisions as of yet. Hedgecock's move will remain unchanged.
- It was difficult to determine if David Wooldridge has decreased his operation time, but he boomed several long punts with a few not-so-great punts interspersed. Consistency is the key.
- Three scholarships will open in the fall: Nick Cangelosi and Kory Gedin due to transfer, and Devllen Bullard due to graduation.
- Newcomers Khalif Mitchell, Gerald Sensabaugh, and Scott Brumett all garnerd praise from coach Bunting, Mitchell for pass rush, Sensabaugh for his attitude aptitude and closing speed, and Brumett for his soft hands in making three or four catches during the 7v7 drills. Terry Hunter had a health issue today and did not participate.
- Player numbers: Adarius Bowman from #84 to #11, Mike Mason from #88 to #2, Matt Baker from #17 to #7, Sensabaugh #14, and Brumett #87.
- Injury report:
Brian Chacos (OT)--off-season surgery, right knee (out all of spring practice)
Kendraus Guy (DE)--off-season surgery, right shoulder (limited participation)
Cedric Holt (CB)--last season, broken right ankle (limited participation)
Drew Hunter (OT)--neck injury (limited participation)
UNC Spring Football Notebook
Inside Carolina Top Stories
Countdown to Kickoff: VirginiaKickoff is scheduled for 3:04pm at Scott Stadium and will be televised by RSN.
Inside CarolinaYesterday at 11:29 AM
Pinson Out IndefinitelyThere is no current timetable for his return.
Inside CarolinaYesterday at 10:24 AM
Seizing ControlThe Inside Carolina staff convened for a free-for-all chat in advance of North Carolina's game at Virginia.
Inside CarolinaThursday at 9:21 AM
Washington Meets with UNC, Changes TimelineFive-star P.J. Washington met with North Carolina and Kentucky this past week. Washington, who will make an early decision, also made a shift in his visit plans.
Scout HoopsThursday at 8:31 AM
The Weekly ScoopInside Carolina's weekly subscriber feature provides the latest inside intel on UNC Basketball's team and recruiting efforts.
Inside CarolinaWednesday at 11:11 AM