Target Number: 1
Important to get one a year for depth and development.
2002 Projected Depth Chart (not listing commitments/transfers)
1. Darian Durant (5-11, 225, So-3)
2T. Aaron Leak (6-3, 220, So-3)
2T. Matt Baker (6-3, 215, Fr-1)
Transfer Commitment: CJ Stephens (6-2, 215, 4.75, FL) - Stephens was considered by multiple services a top 100 national recruiting coming out of HS in 99. He signed with FL, where his father was and is the OL coach, but due to a torn ACL suffered late in his senior year of HS, he quickly got "behind" other young and talented QBs Rex Grossman and Brock Berlin. Was an SEC academic all-American in each of the past two years and had a 3.9 GPA and 1300 SAT coming out of HS. Transferred to UNC this summer and will be eligible to play in 02 and 03.
1. Maurice Avery (6-0, 200, 4.55, GA) - A pass-run threat who gained 2,500 yards and 23 touchdowns all-purpose last year, and accounted for 30 tds as a senior (20 passing, 10 rushing). UNC is his childhood favorite. In the "mold" of current UNC triggerman Darian Durant.
Offers: ARK, LOUIS, MEM, MTNST, SOMISS, UNC, WVU.
Official visit to UNC on 11/30.
2. Wyatt Sexton (6-3, 190, 4.75, FL) - Like Stephens, is the son of a prominent football coach in the state of FL - FSU's RB coach Billy Sexton. Passed for 2,900 yards and 28 TDs as a junior. Florida State, UNC, and Illinois have offered. 3.9 GPA and 1300 SAT. Currently, FSU and UNC are his top two with FSU holding a slight lead due to his father's current status and the fact that mom and dad both graduated from FSU. If, however, he can be swayed by CJ Stephens' positive experience, UNC has a chance. Has been flying up the recruiting rankings lately making some service's top 10/15 QB lists.
Official visits: ILL 12/7, UNC 12/14, FSU 1/18, NCSU 1/25
Offers: UNC, FSU, ILL, NCSU, AUB
Projection: Florida State
3. Patrick Dosh (6-3, 205, 4.75, VA) - Set to shatter all state of VA career passing marks this year (but plays for a private school team so the competition not considered strong). For a long time, UNC was his only major offer, but reportedly VAT has now offered and leads. Marshall has also offered. After his UNC visit on 12/7 says that UNC and VAT are dead even.
Offers: UNC, VAT, MARSH
Official visits: UNC 12/7, VAT 12/14
Projection: Virginia Tech
4. Sam Williams (6-3 185, 4.6, SC) - Has accounted for 2,500 yards and 27 tds this season. Claims UNC has offered, but I do not believe that to be the case at this stage (or if he has, it is as a Safety, not a QB). Says Middle Tennessee State leads big. Set to visit AUB, SC, MTSU, and UNC.
"Claimed" offers: AUB, SC, UNC, MO and LOUIS
Projections: Middle Tennessee State
Target Number: 3
Although UNC has adequate depth at the WR spot heading into next year, (a) UNC will graduate its top 3 WRs after '02 (Allen, Borders, Aiken) and jobs will be wide open for '03, and (b) this is a great year for WRs in UNC's primary recruiting territories so don't be surprised to see the Tar Heels "load up" on the position while the "getting is good."
Projected 2002 Depth Chart
1. Bosley Allen (6-2, 195, Sr-5)
2. Brandon Russell (5-11, 190, Jr-3)
3. Jarwarski Pollock (5-8, 175, So-2)
1. Sam Aiken (6-2, 200, Sr-5)
2. Chesley Borders (6-0, 190, Sr-5)
3. Harry Lewis (6-3, 210, Fr-2)
Speed WR Commitment:
Ian Firestone (6-1, 190, 4.35, PA) - Last year, he had 43 receptions for 550 yards and 7 touchdowns. On kick returns he averaged 44 yards per return. Ranked as a top 10 national WR. He committed to UNC after the Clemson game over more than one dozen offers including MIA, GAT, VA, BC, NW and PUR among others. Came to UNC unofficially in August and made his official visit for the VA game.
Possession WR Commitments:
Derrele Mitchell (6-4, 200, 4.5, NC/VA Prep School) - Derrele signed with UNC in 2001 but is spending this fall at Hargrave Military Academy to shore up his academics. Mitchell was selected last year as the NC Male Athlete of the Year after leading his basketball team (RJ Reynolds) to the state championship and accumulating 1,223 yards and 10 touchdowns on the gridiron as a senior. He was ranked as a top 50 national wide receiver coming out of high school with more than a dozen offers including offers from all the NC schools, TN, VAT, CLEM, SC and GA.
David Noel (6-4, 210, 4.5, NC) - Unknown by recruiting gurus (haven't seen him listed by a single recruiting service), but area college coaches knew all about this Billy McMullen clone as evidenced by his offers from SC, NC, WF and VA. Had a monster senior year with 44 receptions for 1024 yards and 19 touchdowns.
1. Ty Zimmerman (6-4, 200, 4.55, SC/FUMA) - Was listed as a top 100 national WR by some services coming out of HS. Committed to Clemson, failed to qualify, spending a year at FUMA and is now open between CLEM, SC and UNC (the three finalists for his services last year). Still says he is "softly" committed to CLEM, but visited UNC officially on 11/30 (also visited unofficially on 11/17).
Official Visits: UNC 11/30, WV 12/7, USC 12/14, CLEM 1/11, MIA 1/18
2. Franklin Payne (6-0, 180, 4.5, TN) - Caught 33 passes for 1,180 yards and 19 touchdowns as a junior and 44 passes for 1110 yards and 10 tds (and ran for 740 yards and 8 tds, 3 tds on punt returns) as a senior. Clemson, North Carolina, Georgia Tech, Auburn and Middle Tennessee State have offered.
Official Visits: Ill 12/7, Clem 1/11, GAT 1/18, UNC?, AUB?
3. Princell Brockenbourough (6-3, 205, 4.45, CA/VA) - Originally from Southeastern, VA, has spent the past two seasons at San Francisco JUCO working on academics. One of the nation's top JUCO WRs. Says that UNC leads if he can qualify academically - not scheduled to sign till summer.
Projection: Virginia Tech
Target Number: 3
UNC has only four scholarship CBs, with two being seniors in 2002, making CB a spot where someone can step in and play right away.
2002 Projected Depth Chart
1. Michael Waddell (5-11, 175, Sr-4)
2. Chris Hawkins (5-11, 175, So-2)
1. Kevin Knight (5-8, 175, Sr-4)
2. Derrick Johnson (5-8, 175, Jr-4)
Commitment: Cedric Holt (6-0, 195, 4.45, NC) - Last year, Cedric had eight interceptions and scored five touchdowns for Anson County on his way to all-conference honors. Camped at UNC this summer and impressed UNC DB coach Jon Tenuta with his cover skills. Committed to UNC over CLEM, ECU (offer), NCSU and WF (offer). Grades issues could push his ultimate enrollment to 03/04.
1. AJ Davis (5-11, 175, 4.35, NC) - WR/CB prospect. AJ is considered one of the top defensive backs in the country and one of the top two overall players in NC. Last year for Northern Durham, AJ made 26 tackles, 6 interceptions (3 returned for TDs), 10 TDs as a receiver, and two punt return TDs. He is also the current state champion in the high jump, long jump and the triple jump. His cousin Donnie Davis was an outstanding high school quarterback in Burlington and went on to play in college at Georgia Tech. A. J. intends to run track in college and any school that will not allow him to participate in both sports will not be considered. Northern Durham has produced several outstanding players for the University of North Carolina including current players Andre Williams and Kory Bailey, former payers Sherrod and Jason Peace, and David Bomar. Additionally, current Carolina Assistant Coach Ken Browning was the Northern Durham Head Football coach for many years. Visited UNC for the FSU game and visited NCSU for the UNC-NCSU game but came to UNC's locker room post game.
Official Visits: ND 11/4, FSU 11/30, AL/TN 1/11, UNC 1/18, NCSU 1/25
2. Demario Minter (5-10, 175, 4.45, GA) - Was voted to the NIKE Camp all-American team as a result of his impressive showing at the Atlanta Nike Camp. He has liked UNC from the beginning (and since his childhood) and the Carolina coaching staff has now offered after watching film. Demario has also has offers from Auburn, Georgia, Georgia Tech, Maryland, Ohio State, and South Carolina.
Official visits: MD 12/14, GA 1/11, CLEM 1/14, UNC 1/18, AUB 1/25.
3. Larry "Buddy" Williams (511, 175, 4.4, FL) - 92 tackles, 3 interceptions and 2 blocked field goals as a senior. Teammate of fellow UNC recruits Pat Watkins and Greg Threat.
Official Visits: UNC 12/14, 1/4 CLEM, 1/18 MIA, SYR?, GAT?
4. Michael Gilmore (6-1, 180, 4.45, SC) – Alliancesports.com rates him higher than Fred Bennett (among the top 12 CBs). Lists GAT as his current favorite and intends to make an official visit to UNC on 12/14 (GAT (1/11), VAT (11/30)).
Projection: Georgia Tech led pre-O'Leary departure, questionable who his leader is now?
5. Bryan McClendon (6-0, 175, 4.4, GA) - An "athlete" type who also plays TB and WR on offense and CB on defense. 1500 yards and 14 tds on offense and 45 tackles and four ints on defense. Father Willie rushed for over 2,200 yards for Georgia in college. Was quoted as saying UNC led immediately prior to his 12/7 official visit.
Official Visits: UNC 12/7, AUB 1/11, GA 1/18, GAT 1/25, ND?
6. Fred Bennett (6-2, 180, 4.45, SC) - Ranked as a top 10 national DB prospect, Fred plays wide receiver as well as corner in High School. He caught 30 passes his junior year for approximately 500 yards (three for touchdowns). On defense, Fred registered 79 tackles and seven interceptions. Visited CLEM for the CLEM-UNC game and despite UNC's 38-3 win, still came out favoring CLEM citing familiarity and comfort with the coaches, school and players. Has narrowed his list to CLEM, SC and UNC, spurning offers from AUB, TN and MD. As a senior, caught 52 passes for 1154 yards and 22 tds and made 53 tackles and six ints on defense.
Official Visits: CLEM 1/11, SC 1/18, UNC 1/25
7. Ray Williams (6-2, 170, 4.4, NJ) - Tall, fast CB/WR prospect. 10 td pass receptions and seven interceptions as a senior. Offers from VA (11/30), UNC (12/7), SYR, BC, RUT, MD, PUR, IOWA, GAT and WISC.
Target Number: 1
With the graduation of Billy Dee Greenwood and the pre-mature departure of Jovon Lewis this summer, FS is a spot that could use another player or two.
2002 Projected Depth Chart
1. Dexter Reid (6-0, 190, Jr-4)
2. Bryant Macklin (6-0, 205, So-3)
3. Tarrence Highsmith (6-1, 190, Fr-2)
1. Pat Watkins (6-4, 200, 4.4, FL) - The nations consensus #1 S and one of the top 10 players overall. Most gurus expect him to step in and start from day one in college and be playing in the NFL three years later. Also lists backyard school FSU. Teammate of UNC CB prospects Bud Williams and Greg Threat.
Official Visit List: UNC 12/14, GA, MIA and FSU in January.
2. Duante Fields (6-1, 160, 4.5, Miami, FL) - WR/FS prospect. 50 tackles and 6 interceptions on defense and 30-500-10 as a WR. Also has two tds on returns. Quoted as saying UNC led after his 11/30 official visit.
Offers: WISC, VAT, UNC, BC, RUT, IAST, VANDY, MARSH
Visits: BC: 10/27, UNC 11/30, IAST 12/7, WISC?, RUT/VAT ?
3. Olaolu Sanni-Osomo (6-2, 195, 4.5, GA) - Just recently moved to the US and has only been playing football for two-years. Great athletic ability. 80 tackles and three interceptions as a senior. 3.4 GPA and 1080 SAT. Has recently narrowed his list to the following four finalists: UNC, GA, FL and ND.
4. Nate Salley (6-4, 200, 4.4, Miami, FL) - One of the nation's top ten Safety prospects and also a star HS basketball players. 72 tackles as a junior and 70 more as a senior. Currently lists MIA slightly over UNC, NCSU (1/11), Ohio State and Michigan State.
5. Jeff Francoeur (6-4, 205, 4.5, GA) - A top football and baseball recruit - intends to play both in college (may get drafted this spring). Five interceptions and over 30 catches at WR so far this year. UNC football-baseball player Brandon Russell (also from GA) could help out here.
Official Visit List: ND 11/2, CLEM 1/11, MISS 1/18, UNC 1/25.
6. Brandon Mitchell (6-2, 185, 4.55, GA) - Favors UNC (12/7) over DUKE, GAT, MD, SC, WF and UAB - all have offered except UNC. 53 tackles and eight interceptions as a senior as well as 35 catches for 700 yards and eight tds at WR. 3.7 GPA and 1140 SAT.
7. LeKendrick Bridges (6-2, 170, 4.4, TX) - CB/FS/WR prospect. Has run a 10.3 100 in track. Eight TD receptions and two ints as a junior. Wants to play both basketball and football in HS. Currently favors UNC over GAT, LSU and MD.
Projection: Georgia Tech