Important to get one a year for depth and development.
Target Number: 1
1. Maurice Avery (6-0, 200, 4.55, GA) - A pass-run threat who gained 2,500 yards and 23 touchdowns all-purpose last year, and accounted for 30 tds as a senior (20 passing, 10 rushing). UNC is his childhood favorite and current leader. In the "mold" of current UNC triggerman Darian Durant.
Offers: ARK, LOUIS, MEM, MTNST, SOMISS, UNC, WVU.
Official visits: UNC 11/30, MEM 12/7, LOUIS 12/14, WVU 1/11, SOMISS 1/18
Rankings: SuperPrep #25 in GA, Alliance #28 ATH QB, Insiders #37QB, Lemming 3 stars.
2. Wyatt Sexton (6-3, 190, 4.75, FL) - Like Stephens, is the son of a prominent football coach in the state of FL - FSU's RB coach Billy Sexton. Passed for 2,900 yards and 28 TDs as a junior. 3.9 GPA and 1300 SAT. Currently, FSU holds a slight lead due to his father's current status and the fact that mom and dad both graduated from FSU.
Official visits: ILL 12/7, UNC 12/14, FSU 1/18, NCSU 1/25
Offers: UNC, FSU, ILL, NCSU, AUB
Ranking: Superprep #42 in FL, Alliance #13 Drop back passer, Insiders #18 QB, Lemming 3 stars.
Projection: Florida State
3. Patrick Dosh (6-3, 205, 4.75, VA) - Topped several of Ronald Curry's state of VA career passing marks this year (but plays for a private school team so the competition not considered strong). After his UNC visit on 12/7 said that UNC and VAT are dead even and after 12/14 VAT said that VAT led slightly.
Offers: UNC, VAT
Rankings: SP #23 in VA, Alliance #21 drop back QB, Lemming 3 stars.
Official visits: UNC 12/7, VAT 12/14
Projection: Virginia Tech
TB - With only 3 scholarship TBs on the roster, and none really setting the college football world on fire thus far, UNC could use a game breaker at TB.
FB - UNC did not add a fullback in 2001 and it is possible that Richard Moore will likely not return for a fifth year. Thus, a pure fullback could really help this year.
Target Number - 2
Commitment: D. J. Walker (6-1, 170, 4.45, NC) - TB/FS prospect from Brevard, NC. Last year (Walker's first on varsity) D. J. rushed for 1.946 yards on 255 carries (7.6 ypc average), scored 23 touchdowns, and had approximately 2,250 yards of total offense. On defense, D. J. recorded 45 tackles and three interceptions. Walker had the third fastest time in the State 2-A track meet for the 100 and 300-meter hurdles.
Offers: UNC, CLEM, SC, DUKE
Ranking: SP #20 in NC, Alliance #72 CB, Lemming 3 stars.
1. Nate Schiccatano (6-3, 220, 4.45, PA) - TB/FB/LB prospect. Currently has no favorite and has made no official visits as of yet but likes PSU, ND, UNC, NW and IOWA as his top 5. Friends with UNC verbal Ian Firestone.
Offers: ND, PSU, MICH, MICHST, IOWA, WISC, PITT, NW, WVU. OSU.
Ranking: SP #31 RB, Alliance #22 RB, Insiders #25 RB, Lemming 4 star.
Projection: Penn State
2. Mahlon Carey (6-2, 200, 4.45, GA) - Rushed for 1507 yards and 20 tds (7.3 avg) and made 85 tackles, 6 sacks and 3 ints from his SS position as a junior.
Offers: UNC, GA, SC, TN, NW and LOUIS.
Official Visits: LOUIS 12/14, UNC 1/11, GA 1/18, SC/TN/NW?
Rankings: SP #16 in GA, Alliance #29 ATH, Lemming 3 stars.
3. Patrick Hall (6-3, 245, 4.6, GA) - Plays QB in HS (30 td passes as a senior), but projects as a FB, TE or LB at the next level.
Offers: PSU (1/11), GA, GAT, and UNC.
Rankings: Alliance #31 ATH, Lemming 3 stars
Projection: Penn State
Although UNC has adequate depth at the WR spot heading into next year, (a) UNC will graduate its top 3 WRs after '02 (Allen, Borders, Aiken) and jobs will be wide open for '03, and (b) this is a great year for WRs in UNC's primary recruiting territories so don't be surprised to see the Tar Heels "load up" on the position while the "getting is good."
Target Number: 3 (4 if Brockenbourough or Zimmerman accept and qualify)
Ian Firestone (6-1, 190, 4.35, PA) - Last year, he had 43 receptions for 550 yards and 7 touchdowns. On kick returns he averaged 44 yards per return. Committed to UNC after the Clemson game. Came to UNC unofficially in August and made his official visit for the VA game. Came again in November and plans on coming again in January to help recruit prospects.
Offers: 12+ including UNC, MIA, ND, GAT, VA, BC, NW, PITT and PUR.
Rankings: SP #5 WR, Alliance #35 WR (#20 b/f UNC verbal), Lemming 4 stars.
Derrele Mitchell (6-3, 200, 4.5, NC/VA Prep School) - Derrele signed with UNC in 2001 but is spending this fall at Hargrave Military Academy to shore up his academics. Mitchell was selected last year as the NC Male Athlete of the Year after leading his basketball team (RJ Reynolds) to the state championship and accumulating 1,223 yards and 10 touchdowns on the gridiron as a senior. He was ranked as a top 50 national wide receiver coming out of high school.
Offers: 12+ including all the NC schools, TN, VAT, CLEM, SC and GA.
David Noel (6-4, 210, 4.5, NC) - Unknown by recruiting gurus (haven't seen him listed by a single recruiting service), but area college coaches knew all about this Billy McMullen clone as evidenced by his offer list. Had a monster senior year with 44 receptions for 1024 yards and 19 touchdowns.
Offers: UNC, SC, WF and VA.
Official Visit: 12/7
1. Princell Brockenbourough (6-3, 205, 4.45, CA/VA) - Originally from Southeastern, VA, has spent the past two seasons at San Francisco JUCO working on academics.
Official Visits: SC 12/14, UNC 1/11
Ranking: The nation's #1 ranked JUCO (5 stars by Alliance)
2. Ty Zimmerman (6-4, 200, 4.55, SC/FUMA) - Committed to Clemson last year but failed to qualify, spending a year at FUMA. Still says he is "softly" committed to CLEM, but visited UNC officially on 11/30 (& officially on 11/17).
Official Visits: UNC 11/30, WV 12/7, USC 12/14, CLEM 1/11, MIA 1/18
Ranking: Top 100 nationally coming out of HS
A decade long sore spot with UNC fans, of which Coach Bunting has made no secret of his desire to upgrade.
Target Number: 5
Commitment: Whit Efrid (6-4, 310, 5.1, NC) - Whit comes to UNC out of West Stanly HS in Oakboro. Whit is extremely strong, as evidenced by his 410 bench press and 525 squat. He averaged 5 pancake blocks last year and also performed the kicking duties for West Stanly.
Offers: UNC, ECU.
Ranking: SP #30 in NC, Alliance #76 OT, Insiders #47 OL, Lemming 3 stars
Official Visit: 1/11
1. Marcus McNeil (6-7, 310, GA) - Marcus currently lists UNC, MIA and GAT as his three favorites (also lists AUB and TN), and he grew up a UNC fan when he lived in Fayetteville, NC. He has since moved to GA, but still has some family in the area. Visited NCSU for UNC-NCSU game and reportedly made his way to the UNC locker room after the game. Official visit to UNC on 11/30 - post visit says he favors UNC slightly over MIA and GAT after the visit. 46 tackles and 13 sacks at DL as a senior, 76 pancake blocks on offense.
Rankings: SP #1 OL, Alliance #5 OT, Insiders #30 OL, Lemming 4 stars
2. Brandon Jefferies (6-5, 270, NC) - Brandon hails from Shelby, NC (Crest High School, same school as Chesley Borders). Quick for his size (4.8 40) and strong (400 lb. Bench press). He will probably wait until late January or early February before deciding - first said to favor TN, then said he was wide open among TN, UNC, and NCST, now back to saying TN leads slightly. Has now narrowed list from 40 to 5 (UNC, NCSU, TN, GA and SC). Visited unofficially for the WF game.
Official Visits: TN 1/11, UNC 1/18, NCSU 1/25
Ranking: SP #8 in NC, Alliance #2 G, Insiders #1 OL, Lemming 5 stars
3. Kyle Ralph (6-5, 280, OH) - Very smart and talented player who committed to Vanderbilt earlier this spring, but has now opened up the process following Woody W's departure.
Offers: OSU, FL, ILL, UNC, BC, MISS, SC, TN, ND, PITT and VANDY.
Rankings: SP #43 in MWest, Alliance #6 OG, Lemming 3 stars
Official Visits: ILL 12/7, PITT 1/4, UNC 1/11, SC/BC/OSU 1/18, FL 1/25
4. Brian Johnson (6-5, 290, FL) - Top national OL prospect who currently states that either UNC and LSU are tied or that UNC leads, followed closely by LSU, depending on the service.
Official Visits: LSU 11/30, UNC 12/7, CLEM 1/11, ARK 1/18, NCSU/SC 1/25.
Offers: LSU, UNC, CLEM, ARK, NCSU, SC
Rankings: SP #51 in FL, Alliance #41 OT, Insiders #69 OL, Lemming 3 stars
7. Dustin Fry (6-3, 300, SC) - State wrestling champion and former HS teammate of current Tar Heel Chase Page. Bench presses 400 lbs. and squats over 600 lbs. Currently favors Clemson. Visited UNC unofficially for the ECU game.
Official visits: UNC (11/30), SC (12/7), MD (1/4) and CLEM (1/11).
Offers: CLEM, SC, UNC, MD
Ranking: SP #16 in SC, Alliance #16 G, Lemming 3 stars
5. Jonathan Palmer (6-5, 300, GA) - OT/DT who best projects as an OL at the next level. Teammate of UNC lean Marcus McNeill. Benches 340.
Visiting UNC officially on 1/18.
Offers: GAT, UNC, SC
Ranking: SP #22 in GA, Alliance #54 DT, Lemming 3 star
8. Jabari Levy (6-8, 300, SC) - CLEM and SC lead TN and UNC for this mammoth OL prospect out of Berekely, SC. Benches 320.
Official Visits: TN 1/11, SC 1/18, UNC 1/25, FSU 2/1
Ranking: Alliance #23 OT, Lemming 3 stars
Projection: South Carolina
9. Patrick Faulk (6-3, 260, NJ) - OT/DT prospect. His cousin Kurt Faulk played football for UNC in the 80s. Teammate of current UNC commitment Melik Brown. 90 tackles and 8 sacks from his DT spot as a senior. UNC currently has a huge lead.
Offers: UNC, MD, MINN, PITT, SYR, WV and WISC.
Ranking: SP #31 in NJ
10. Matt McClaron (6-5, 290, GA) - Big, smart OL who has emerged as of late.
Offers: STAN, NW, UNC
Visits: NW 12/14, UNC 1/11, STAN 1/18, CLEM 1/25.
11. Jonathan Benson (6-5, 280, NC) - West Montgomery student who was awarded the prestigious UNC Morehead Scholar with a 4.4 GPA and a 1570 SAT. It is my belief that UNC would likely be recruiting him but for his Morehead candidacy - i.e., if he comes to UNC as a Morehead Scholar, could "walk on" the football team because UNC isn't recruiting him. UNC's main competition for Jonathan is coming from Harvard, Yale and Princeton, with schools like Stanford, Virginia and Wake Forest actively recruiting him for football and academically.Ranking: SP #35 in NC
Projection: Morehead walk-on to UNC