Several Options for Dinc

Cem Dinc doesn't know what the next step should be for his basketball career and he is being pulled in several different directions. Prep school? College? Pro?

  • Aug 18 - Dinc: 'Suddenly, North Carolina Is On The Screen'
  • Aug 17 - Foreign Post Enters UNC Radar

    While Dinc, 6-10, 250, has been in Italy this week with the Turkish National Team, his plan to spend the coming season as a post-graduate student at Wolfeboro (N.H.) Brewster Academy has become a lot more complicated.

    Turkish national coach Bogdan Tanjevic is telling Dinc that a year at prep school would be a waste, and he should play at a higher level.

    "The coach said he should either turn pro or go to a college," said Brewster head coach Jason Smith. "He told Cem that prep school should not be an option."

    Colleges, meanwhile, are hot on his trail. Indiana has set up an official visit for Aug. 22. Iowa State and Providence called Brewster on Thursday and North Carolina has made multiple overseas calls this week.

    Smith, however, is holding out hope that Dinc will still decide to attend Brewster this fall.

    "We've talked at length [about that possibility]," Smith said. "It is something Cem is very much considering. He has already paid the $9,000 deposit here which is non refundable.

    "In terms of ability and potential, Cem is a major Division I talent, but personally I think he needs a year in the U.S. to play through an entire season before he's ready for that high intensity level."

    Smith spoke with North Carolina assistant coach Steve Robinson Thursday and said the Tar Heels were still in the early steps of recruiting Dinc.

    "He said they were still definitely in the preliminary stages - they didn't know much about him," Smith said. "They definitely have not offered at this point.

    "They were trying to get some film from the Turkish National Team - we don't have film here because he left before the season."

    According to sources close to the situation, North Carolina's additional concern is on the academic front. While Dinc has qualifying grades and scores, he may not be able to reach a campus until late September. Dinc is one of 15 players competing for 12 spots on the national team, and if he makes the squad they will compete at the European Championships from Sept. 12-25. Indiana, however, has told Dinc that this will not be an obstacle.

    "He has posed the question to a couple of schools because the championships end in late September," Smith said. "Indiana told him he could still play in the championships and come to Indiana."

    Dinc informed Inside Carolina from his hotel room in Italy that he received another call from Robinson late Thursday, indicating that UNC was seemingly pulling back in their interest.

    "I talked to Coach Robinson and he told me they didn't think they could recruit me anymore," Dinc said, adding that he was unclear whether it was because they hadn't seem him play yet or because of the academic obstacles. "If I go back to Brewster, Coach Robinson said that they'd recruit me. They never saw me play -- I don't want to be arrogant, but I really think I can play for North Carolina for sure."

    Despite what appears to be fading interest from the Tar Heels -- for specific reasons he's not yet aware of -- Dinc told Inside Carolina that he planned to call back Robinson, with the intent of suggesting he pay out of his own pocket to visit Chapel Hill after the trip to Indiana, and prove his skills are good enough for ACC basketball.

    "Coach Robinson told me he didn't know that much about me and they're not ready to do this yet," Dinc said. "I think I'm good enough to go there."

    Though even if he impresses during his visit and there is mutual interest, if the academic hurdle remains regarding late enrollment, Dinc could be faced with a difficult decision -- the European Championships or Carolina Basketball?

    Cem Dinc Profile

  • Inside Carolina Top Stories