Background Location: Fayetteville, N.C. Enrollment: 6,085 Conference: CIAA (NCAA, Division II) Nickname: Broncos Colors: Royal Blue & White Head Coach: Sam Hanger (4th year) Last Year: 14-17 (8-9, CIAA)
Returning: Phillippe Harris (5-11, 180, So.) - 5.4 ppg, 37% 3pt DeMarcus Bowden (6-0, 175, Jr.) – 3.4 ppg Brad Deshazor (6-4, 194, Jr.) – 8.7 ppg, 3.5 rpg, 2.0 apg Daryl Barnett (6-4, 200, So.) – 4.7 ppg, 2.8 rpg Hazel Andrew (6-7, 250, Jr.) – 7.4 ppg, 7.2 rpg Newcomers: Mike Moses (6-1, 170, Jr.) Harlem, N.Y. Clarence Ferguson (6-4, 195, Sr.) Miami, Fla. Andy Gebru (6-4, 200, Fr.) Orlando, Fla. Jesse Falls (6-0, 195, Jr.) Philadelphia, Pa. Mark Jones (6-3, 180, Sr.) Jacksonville, N.C. Antwan House (6-5, 205, Jr.) Salisbury, N.C. Jadrian Cummings (6-9, 225, Jr.) Phoenix, Ariz. B.J. Rohrmann (6-10, 265, So.) Berlin, Germany Slim Wooten (6-8, 210, Fr.) Fayetteville, N.C. Nathan Ody (6-2, 185, So.) Summerville, S.C.
* The best player to return is Brad Deshazor, a 6-4 junior from Danville, Va. He is the top returning scorer at 8.7 points per game. "We expect Deshazor to pick up where he left off last season," Hanger said. "He has improved over the offseason and we look forward to watching him shine game-after-game."
* Hazel Andrew, a 6-7, 250-pound junior, is the top returning post presence. He started 25 games last season, leading the team with 7.2 rebounds per contest. He had a season-high 18 rebounds against Livingstone College on Jan. 25.
* Daryl Barnett (4.7 ppg, 2.8 rpg) joined last year's team halfway through the season because of football obligations, but is expected to have more of an impact this season and is known for his hustle and active play on the boards.
* Junior DeMarcus Bowden, a 6-0 junior, will be returning to his hometown, as he's a graduate of East Chapel Hill High School.
* Fayetteville State is the second-oldest public institution of higher education in the state, founded in 1867.
(Thanks to FSU SID Marion Crowe for his assistance and contributions to this preview.)