Chavis Decommits

You can now officially add Miguel Chavis to the list of former Tar Heel verbal commitments who have decided to open up their recruitment because of North Carolina's decision to change head coaches after the 2007 season.

"Basically, we're going to open up his recruitment because of the change," said Dianne Crawford, Chavis' mother. "We wish [North Carolina] the best and all that, and we're not saying we're ruling them out."

Chavis, a 6-foot-4 250-pound defensive end, pledged to North Carolina in July over scholarship offers from Wake Forest and Virginia Tech. Since then, schools like Georgia, N.C. State and Tennessee have expressed strong interest.

Although he will consider any interested school, Chavis is still very high on the Tar Heels as they work out their situation with the coaching staff.

"We're letting them do their search and see where things are," said Crawford. "We're kind of taking a wait and see approach. We're still definitely looking at North Carolina; we're just going to look at other schools, also."

Currently, Chavis is at Chatham (Va.) Hargrave Military Academy, where he transferred to in August after being ruled academically ineligible at Fayetteville (N.C.) Sanford.

"He's doing well – very well," said Crawford. "He's doing well in his grades. He's made the Dean's List – he has over a 3.0 [grade point] average. And he's doing well at football. He's started at defensive end."

With Chavis' assistance, Hargrave possesses a 6-3 record and close out their season Friday against military academy rival Fork Union (Va.).

Miguel Chavis Profile

Inside Carolina Top Stories