03 Depth Chart: Durant Jr, Stephens Sr, Baker Soph
Needs: Seeking two as none were signed in 2002. Because UNC has two commitments already, recruiting at this position is, for all intents and purposes, done (absent signing #1 Chris Leak and/or an "athlete" who could project elsewhere as well).
Nick Cangelosi (6-4, 215, 4.7, NJ) - 2300 yds and 25 tds as a junior. Extremely quick release. Draws comparisons to NFL prototype passers Dan Marino and Brett Favre. Committed to UNC over offers from BC, VAT, IA, RUT, MN, VANDY. Insiders Rank: #23 QB
Roger Heinz (6-1, 190, 4.6, FL) - 2500 yds and 29 tds as a junior. Draws comparisons to sharp, smart college passers Drew Bress and Major Applewhite. Camped at UNC. Committed to UNC over offers from AL, CL, MD, SC, WF, CINCY, LOUIS, USF. Insiders Rank: #56 QB
Chris Leak (6-0, 210, 4.6, NC) - Top 5 national QB/player and #1 according to some. Visited unofficially for the TX game and had glowing things to say about the school and Coach Bunting. However, a likely long-shot with TN (brother is #2 QB) and other SEC powers, along with ND, FSU and UCLA thought to hold the upperhand.
CJ Gaddis (6-0, 190, 4.37, NC) - Rushed and passed for over 2,000 and 16 tds as a junior. Multi-purpose athlete extraordinaire who has the ability to project equally well at QB, TB, WR or DB (in the mold of Donovan McNabb, Leon Johnson, Peter Warrick and Dexter Reid athletically). Committed to Clemson early this summer but says he will take official visits to UNC, VA, CL and COL this winter. Visited unofficially for TX game and scheduled to come back on 10/18.
Depth Charts 03
1. TB - Cook Soph, Scott Jr, Lewis, Jr, Williams Sr, Parker Sr, Carey Rfr (TB/S), Walker Rfr (TB/S)
2. FB - Hedgecock Jr, Gibson Jr
3. FS - Reid Sr (nfl?), Harris Sr
4. SS - Curry Jr, Richardson Rfr, Tindall Rfr
5. CB - Waddell Sr, Johnson Sr, Hawkins Jr, Holt Rfr, Watkins Rfr
Needs: Given the depth chart for 03, as listed above, it is easy to see why UNC is seeking a TB only if he is really, really special, or possibly if he could also project to the S spot. A FB would be a luxury pick up given UNC's other needs and limited numbers, but if none are added FB will be a prime need in 04. A top S could be necessary if it looks like Reid will go pro early. Need at CB will be bigger if Waddell goes pro, but the early success of Holt and Watkins makes this less of need than it seemed to be a couple of months back.
Bryan Bethea (5-9, 175, 4.45, NC) - TB/CB prospect. Committed to UNC in the spring. Rushed for 1400 yards and 18 tds. Insiders Rank: #86 CB
Quinton Person (5-10, 175, 4.48, NC) - Rushed for 1500 yards and 18 tds as a junior. Committed to UNC over offers from VA, MD, WF and ECU. Camped at UNC. Insiders Rank: #89 RB
1. Skylar Thornton (6-0, 180, 4.4, GA) - Top 15 TB according to most services. Could play TB, WR, CB or S. Rushed for 1600 yards and 20+ tds as a junior. ARK currently leads AUB, GA, FL and UNC. All have offered.
2. Terrance Graves (6-2, 210, 4.5, OH) - Averaged 170 yards/game as a junior. Offers from UNC, CLEM, SC, CINCY and LOUIS. UNC is his current favorite. Says he wants to come South and is not considering the Northern/local schools. Suffered an injury early in sr year that is likely to put an end to further offers but is not thought to have any long-term effect on his game. Insiders Rank: #20 S
3. Andre Callendar (5-10, 185, 4.45, NJ) - Lists PSU over MICHST, UNC, BC, CL, PITT and RUT. All have offered.
Insiders Rank: #27 RB
4. Marcus Mason (5-9, 200, 4.4, MD) - TB/S prospect in the mold of current Terp Bruce Perry. UNC has offered, but recent interviews indicate that UNC has not been in contact during the September call-in period.
1. LaBrose Hedgemon (5-10, 180, 4.45, AL) - Former teammate of current Tar Heel Danny Rumley. Camped at UNC. Nicknamed "spiderman." 9 ints. Offers from UNC, LSU, ARK, AUB, CLEM, MISST, WV, MISS, NCSU, OREST, COL, VANDY, IND, ND. Insiders Rank: #26 CB
2. Marcus Clayton (5-8, 170, 4.4, FL) - Father played CB for the Atlanta Falcons. Visiting UNC officially on 12/6. SYR, UNC, CL and IA have offered. 7 ints as a junior. Insiders Rank: #34 CB
3. Paul Oliver (6-1, 180, 4.4, GA) - Currently committed to GA but visited unofficially for the TX game, had a good time and says he will likely make an official visit to UNC later this winter. Insiders Rank: #2 CB
4. Dee Webb (6-0, 180, 4.4, FL) - A long-shot, but Heels currently in top 5 and could get an official visit. Insiders Rank: #3 CB
5. Kenny Scott (6-1, 185, 4.4, FL) - See Webb. Insiders Rank: #8 CB
03 Depth Chart: Russell Sr, Pollock Soph, Mitchell Soph, Rumley Soph, Fields Rfr (WR/S), Gilmore Rfr (WR/S), Firestone Rfr
Needs: With recent losses what was once viewed as a luxury has become more of a necessity. Look for 2 to be added.
Mike Mason (6-0, 180, 4.4, NC) - 56 catches, 975 yards and 10 tds as a junior. Committed to UNC very early - March. Consensus top 100 nationally. Insiders Rank: #15 WR
1. Anthony Cromartie (6-3, 195, 4.4, FL) - See Webb and Scott from the CB list above. Insiders Rank: #4 WR
2. Chad Jackson (6-0, 180, 4.4, AL) - former teammate of current Heel Danny Rumley. FL leads pretty big over SU, AUB, AL, TN, LSU, and UNC. 70 catches for 1407 yards and 16 tds as a junior. Insiders Rank: #5 WR
3. Adarius Bowman (6-3, 205, 4.45, TN) - 47 catches, 1300 yds and 20 tds as a junior. Offers from UNC, MISS, ARK, TN, ND, WF, SC, VANDY, CL, AUB. Had said UNC led and was recruiting him the hardest, but recently said that TN is now the leader. Insiders Rank: #16 WR
4. Jesse Holly (6-3, 195, 4.45, NJ) - Top 15 national WR by many services. Lists UNC among his top 6 along with UCLA, MICH, ND, MD and VA.
03 Depth Chart: Blizzard Sr, Chacos Soph, Burnham Rfr
Needs: One per year is the goal to satisfy depth, but a second could be added this year due to the fact that Chacos, Hamlet and Burnham have the potential to grow into OLs down the road.
John Hamlet (6-5, 255, 4.9, VA) - 22 catches, 353 yards and 1 td. Camped at UNC. Committed to UNC over offers from MD and VAT. FL and MD are continuing to recruit. TE/OL type. Insiders Rank: #54 TE (note: Rivals has him at #15)
1. Jon Stupar (6-5, 250, 4.8, PA) - 30 catches for 360 yds and 8 tds; 7 sacks on D. TE/DE type. Offers from all the BEast (except MIA), all the ACC (except CL) and all the Big 10 (except PSU). Came to UNC on unofficial visit this summer. Has "narrowed" his list to VA, FSU, UCLA, UNC, MD, BC, IA and ASU. Had an excellent visit to VA for the SC game and they are currently in the lead. Insiders Rank: #8 TE
03 Depth Charts:
RT: McNeill Jr, Hunter Soph
RG: Terry Sr, Smith Soph, Woods Rfr
C: Brown Jr, Bell Soph, Efird Rfr
LG: JWilson Sr, Ralph Soph,
LT: Seagraves Jr, Barton Jr
Needs: UNC definately looking to upgrade in quanity and quality. Expect 4 or 5 fresh faces in 03
Scott Lenahan (6-1, 295, 5.0) - Very strong (29 reps of 225 lbs) and quick (4.42 shuttle). Camped at UNC. Insiders Rank: #36 DT
1. Eric Young (6-4, 270, 4.7, SC) - The nation's best OL and a former HS teammate of current Heel Mickey Rice. SC and TN lead right now over CL, UNC and VA. Insiders Rank: #1 OL
2. John Sullivan (6-4, 275, 5.0, CT) - Offers from UNC, MIA, PSU, ND, MD, BC, SYR, PITT, VA, VAT. Summer unofficial to UNC. Friend of current Tar Heel Brian Chacos. Insiders Rank: #8 OL
3. Kyndreas Guy (6-3, 265, 5.1, NC) - Offers from CL, NCSU, UNC, WF. Camped at UNC. OL/DT type who could be given first shot at DT if he so chooses.
4. Donnie Woods (6-5, 290, 5.0, FL) - Camped at UNC this summer and is likely to make official visit. Also considering offers from OKL, FL, MIA and TN. Insiders Rank: #21 OL
5. a - (6-5, 280, 4.8 ) - Sleeper DE/OT type who impressed UNC coaches in camp and is came on unofficial visit for academic day. Great physical attributes, but has played only one year of HS football thus far.
6. Cyrim Wimbs (6-4, 320, 5.1, FL) - Currently lists UNC among his top 6 along with OSU, MIA, FSU, RUT and NCSU. Insiders Rank: #66 OL
7. Pedro Sosa (6-5, 275, 5.0, NJ) - Committed to RUT early this summer, but indicates that he will take all 5 of his official visits including to UNC, SC, VA, WISC and RUT. All of those schools have offered along with TN, VANDY, DUKE and MD.
8. Donnell Livingston (6-2, 295, 5.3, FL) - NT/OL prospect who likely projects best on the OL though he made 56 tackles, 24 tfl and 12 sacks from his NT spot as a junior. Visiting UNC officially on 12/6 and NEB on 12/13. MIA leads but has not offered. FSU, WISC, MD likely to get final 3 visits. Insiders Rank: #41 DT
9. Kenny Price (6-5, 280, 5.0, VA) - DT/OL prospect who, like Livingston and Guy, likely projects best on the OL. CL has offered and he says UNC has offered and leads, though it may be that UNC has indicated that they "will offer" when he comes for an visit in the upcoming weeks.
10. Shelton Bynum (6-5, 310, 5.4, GA) - HS teammate of 2002 UNC OL recruits Marcus McNeill and Jon Palmer (both to AUB). GA and MD have offered and is also considering AUB, UNC and VA. Visited UNC unofficially for academic day in July and is coming to UNC unofficially for the GAT game.
11. Ryan "Smokey" Coggins (6-3, 300, 5.2, GA) - Benches 385 and squats 425. Camped at UNC this past summer. Says that UNC has now offered and leads and also likes AUB, AL, GA and MD.
12. Carlton Powell (6-5, 285, 5.0, VA) - Blooming OL who favors UNC over MD, VA and VAT.
03 Depth Chart:
NT: Coates Sr, Smalls Jr, Seagraves Jr, Rice Rfr
RT: Page Jr, High Rfr
Needs: UNC would like to add two.
1. Nate Robinson (6-4, 300, 4.9, NJ) - Has recently "narrowed" his list to MIA, RUT, VAT, MICHST, UNC, MD, PITT, TN and KST from over 30 offers. 80 tackles and 15 sacks as a junior. Says that he will visit UNC officially this winter though MIA currently leads. Insiders Rank: #1 DT
2. Richard Kittrell (6-5, 275, 4.8, CT) - Most national services rank him among the top 5 DTs in the nation. MD and MICH ST currently hold a slight lead over UNC, BC, IA. PSU, SYR, PITT, SC and TN have also offered.
3. Isiah Thomas (6-4, 270, 5.0, NC) - Offers from UNC, NEB, MICH, OSU, ND, TN, NCSU, GA, VAT. Camped at UNC. UNC led throughout the summer, but recently switched leader to TN. Insiders Rank: #37 DT
4. Demarcus "Tank" Tyler (6-3, 315, 5.1, NC) - Offers from UNC, TN, NCSU, OSU. Camped at UNC. NCSU currently holds a slight lead. Insiders Rank: #73 DT
5. Conrad Bolston (6-3, 265, 5.0, MD) - Offers from UNC, MD, BC, MICH, ND, VA, WV. Came to UNC on unofficial visit in late July. Insiders Rank: #14 DT
03 Depth Chart
SSDE: Mooring Sr, Banks Soph, Rackley Rfr, Rainey Rfr
WSDE: Chapman Sr, Dumas Jr, Davis Soph, Blizzard Rfr
Needs: Two were the goal, and UNC has secured two commitments thus far. A third will be added only if elite or if one or more of the DE commitments are projected to potentially eventually slide down to DT.
Marcus Hands (6-6, 250, 4.7, NC) - Early spring commitment. Consensus national top 250 player. Teammate of current Heel Rashaad Tindall. Camped at UNC. Insiders Rank: #33 DE
Terry Hunter (6-4, 240, 4.7, NC) - Committed to UNC over offers from NCSU, TN and WF. Consensus national top 250 player. Camped at UNC. Insiders Rank: #31 DE
1. Victor Abiamari (6-5, 240, 4.6, MD) - Top 25 national prospect with a great head on his shoulders. STAN currently leads MD, MIA, MICH, UNC, and UCLA. Insiders Rank: #8 DE
2. Mario Williams (6-6, 240, 4.6, NC) - Unfortunately, looks like we are nearing out of the picture here with TN, NCSU and OSU still in the mix. Insiders Rank: #4 DE.
3. Turk McBride (6-5, 240, 4.6, NJ) - Former teammate of UNC commitment Melik Brown. UNC is his current top 10. Most services have him ranked among the top 15 DEs in the nation.
4. Chris Ellis (6-5, 235, 4.7, VA) - UNC in his top 7, but not 5. Insiders Rank: #22 DE
5. Omarr Savage (6-5, 240, 4.9, NJ) - 55 tackles and 6 sacks as a junior and his first year of football. Has alot of upside having a great frame but never having hit the weights (only maxs 240). CL, MD, UNC, IA and RUT have all offered.
03 Depth Chart:
SAM: Longhany Soph,
MIKE: Justice Soph, Worsley Rfr
WILL: Bullard Jr, Gaddy Jr
Needs: Three or four quality prospects are sought
Melik Brown (6-2, 228, 4.6, NJ) - Signed with 2002 and is attending prep school in VA in 02 to shore up academics.
1. Joe Kedra (6-4, 225, 4.7, NJ) - Teammate of UNC commitment Nick Cangelosi. 189 tackles. Unofficial to UNC this summer. Offers from UNC, PSU, NEB, BC, IA, MD, RUT, Va, VAT. UNC and PSU are the leaders. Visiting UNC for the GAT game and says he will decide shortly thereafter. Insiders Rank: #59
2. Jermaine Dias (6-4, 235, 4.6, NJ) - OLB/DE type. Offers from UNC, MICH, MICHSt, WISC, RUT, PSU, BC, PITT, MD, SYR, VA. Recently visited UNC unoffically. BC, VA, UNC and MD are his top 4. Insiders Rank: #15 DE
3. Kory Gedin (6-2, 235, 4.6, MD) - 170 tackles. Offers from UNC, GAT, MD and WF. UNC led earlier this summer. Came on unofficial on academic day. Lists VANDY, UNC and BC as his top 3. Visiting officially on 12/6. Insiders Rank: #60
4. Vince Hall (6-1, 240, 4.7, VA) - 11 sacks. Offers from BC, CL, MD, UNC, PSU, PITT, SC, SYR, TN, VA, VAT. Insiders Rank: #10
5. Ryan Brown (6-2, 240, 4.6, SC) - 74 tackles. Offers from PSU, SC, CL, FL, NCSU, UNC, PSU, TN. UNC in the top 8. Insiders Rank: #14
6. Fred Sparkman (6-1, 220, 4.6, TN) - 162 tackles and 15 sacks. Offers from UNC, SC and VANDY. LB/FB type. Insiders Rank: #52 LB.
7. Stephen Tulloch (5-11, 220, 4.7, FL) - Offers from BC, FL, UNC, NCSU, PITT and RUT. Visiting UNC officially on 11/30.
8. LV Whitworth (6-0, 220, 4.5, MA) - LB/FB type. Offers from BC, MICH and UNC. BC currently leads. Rushed for over 1,000 yards as a junior.
9. Derron Thomas (6-1, 225, 4.8, MD) - 114 tackles and 4 sacks as a junior. UNC, PITT, SYR and GAT have offered. PITT, SYR and NCSU lead.
10. Curtis Rice (6-3, 210, 4.6, SC) - Cousin of current Tar Heel Mickey Rice. 62 tackles and 4 sacks as a junior. CL, SC and UNC have offered.
Updated FB Recruiting Board