03 Depth Chart:
RT: Willie McNeill Jr, Drew Hunter Soph
RG: Jeb Terry Sr, Arthur Smith Soph
C: Jason Brown Jr, Steven Bell Soph, Whit Efird Rfr
LG: Jupiter Wilson Sr, Kyle Ralph Soph,
LT: Skip Seagraves Jr, Chris Woods Rfr
Needs: UNC definately looking to upgrade in quanity and quality. Expect around 4 fresh faces in 03.
Scott Lenahan (6-1, 295, 5.0) - Very strong (29 reps of 225 lbs) and quick (4.42 shuttle). Camped at UNC. Insiders Rank: #36 DT
1. Eric Young (6-4, 270, 4.7, SC) - The nation's best OL and a former HS teammate of current Heel Mickey Rice. SC and TN lead right now over CL, UNC and VA. Looks like a longshot. Insiders Rank: #1 OL
2. John Sullivan (6-4, 275, 5.0, CT) - Offers from UNC, MIA, MICH, PSU, ND, MD, BC, SYR, PITT, VA, VAT. Summer unofficial to UNC. Friend of current Tar Heel Brian Chacos. UNC in his top 5 and should get an official visit, but MIA, ND and MICH will be tough to beat. Insiders Rank: #8 OL
3. Kyndreas Guy (6-3, 265, 5.1, NC) - Offers from CL, NCSU, UNC, WF. Camped at UNC. OL/DT type who could be given first shot at DT if he so chooses. UNC holds a slight lead with CL currently running 2nd.
4. Kaleef Mitchell - (6-5, 280, 4.8 ) - Sleeper DE/OT type who impressed UNC coaches in camp and is came on unofficial visit for academic day. Great physical attributes, but has played only one year of HS football thus far.
5. Donnie Woods (6-3, 285, 5.5, FL) - Camped at UNC this summer and made official visit in October for the NCST game. Also considering offers from OKL, FL, FSU, MICHST and TN. Tore his ACL in October and will need a year to rehab. Really liked his official visit to UNC and now says that OKL and UNC lead. Conflicting interviews make the situation a bit murky - the first quoted Woods as saying UNC wouldn't allow him to enroll in Jan and that UNC had been dropped. The second, which came a couple of days later said that UNC and OKL led and that both said he could still come in January. Insiders Rank: #21 OL
6. Cyrim Wimbs (6-4, 320, 5.1, FL) - UNC may be fading here as the Tar Heels weren't listed among his most recent top 5. Insiders Rank: #66 OL
7. Pedro Sosa (6-5, 275, 5.0, NJ) - Committed to RUT early this summer, but indicates that he will take all 5 of his official visits including to UNC, SC, VA, WISC and RUT. All of those schools have offered along with TN, VANDY, DUKE and MD.
8. Eddie Montoya (6-3, 300, 5.1, OK) - UNC in the top 5 for this OKL OL. OKL, TN, AL and PUR are also in the mix and all have reportedly offered.
9. Shelton Bynum (6-5, 310, 5.4, GA) - HS teammate of 2002 UNC OL recruits Marcus McNeill and Jon Palmer (both to AUB). GA and MD have offered and is also considering AUB, UNC and VA. Visited UNC unofficially for academic day in July and for the GAT game.
10. Ryan "Smokey" Coggins (6-3, 300, 5.2, GA) - Benches 385 and squats 425. Camped at UNC this past summer. Says that UNC has now offered and leads and also likes AUB, AL, GA and MD.
03 Depth Chart:
DT: Kendall High Soph, [Donti Coates Sr], Carl Smalls Jr
DT: Chase Page Jr, Jonas Seawright Jr, Mickey Rice Rfr
Needs: UNC would like to add two (though it is possible that one/more of the DE signees could project as a future DT with projected growth)
1. Nate Robinson (6-4, 300, 4.9, NJ) - UNC has reportedly make the cut to get one of Robinson's 5 official visits from over 60 major college offers. 80 tackles and 15 sacks as a junior. MIA currently leads. Will visit UNC on 1/10. Insiders Rank: #1 DT
2. Isiah Thomas (6-4, 270, 5.0, NC) - Offers from UNC, NEB, MICH, OSU, ND, TN, NCSU, GA, VAT. Camped at UNC. UNC led throughout the summer, but recently calls it fairly even b/t UNC, NCSU and OSU. Official visit scheduled with UNC for 1/10. Insiders Rank: #37 DT
3. Donnell Livingston (6-2, 295, 5.3, FL) - NT prospect who make 56 tackles, 24 tfl and 12 sacks as a junior. Visiting UNC officially on 12/6 and NEB (offer) on 12/13. FSU (offer), WISC, MD likely to get final 3 visits. Insiders Rank: #41 DT
4. Elijah Robinson (6-3, 255, 4.8, NJ) - Visiting UNC officially on 12/13 and says that UNC currently leads MD, RUT, VA and WVU. All have offered.
5. JUCO DT
6. Omarr Savage (6-5, 255, 4.9, NJ) - 55 tackles and 6 sacks as a junior and his first year of football. Has alot of upside having a great frame but never having hit the weights (only maxs 240). CL, MD, UNC, IA and RUT have all offered. Ranked as an all-american by some national services.
7. Richard Kittrell (6-5, 275, 4.8, CT) - Most national services rank him among the top 5 DTs in the nation. MD and MICH ST currently hold a slight lead over UNC, BC, IA. PSU, SYR, PITT, SC and TN have also offered. His list is larger than 5 and hasn't set up official visits yet, so UNC fighting to be one of those 5 currently.
8. Shane Lucas (6-4, 285, 5.0) - Originally from NC. Claims to have now been offered by UNC. Says that parents prefer NCSU and also includes VAT and TN among his favorites.
9. Kenny Price (6-5, 280, 5.0, VA) - DT/OL prospect who, like Livingston and Guy, likely projects best on the OL, but may get a chance at DT first. CL has offered and he says UNC has offered and leads, though it may be that UNC has indicated that they "will offer" when he comes for an visit in the upcoming weeks.
10. Demarcus "Tank" Tyler (6-3, 315, 5.1, NC) - Offers from UNC, TN, NCSU, OSU. Camped at UNC. NCSU currently holds the lead. Insiders Rank: #73 DT
03 Depth Chart:
SAM: Devllen Bullard Jr, Jeff Longhany Soph
MIKE: Doug Justice Soph, Victor Worsley Rfr
WILL: Clarence Gaddy Jr, [Clay Roberson Sr], Andre Williams Sr
Needs: Three or four quality prospects are sought in this position of dire need.
Melik Brown (6-2, 245, 4.65, NJ) - Signed with 2002 and is attending prep school in VA in 02 to shore up academics. Has reportedly gotten alot bigger and is actually playing DE in PrepSchool.
Joe Kedra (6-4, 225, 4.7, NJ) - Teammate of UNC commitment Nick Cangelosi. 189 tackles. Unofficial to UNC this summer. Offers from UNC, PSU, NEB, BC, IA, MD, RUT, Va, VAT. UNC and PSU are the leaders. Visited UNC for the GAT game and committed shortly thereafter. Insiders Rank: #59 (all other services rank him among the top 25 LBs in the nation and one rates him as a top 100 prospect overall nationally.)
1. Justin Burks (6-3, 235, 4.5, CA) - The nation's top JUCO LB. Currently lists FL as his favorite, but has UNC among his top 3. UNC should get an official visit.
2a. Jermaine Dias (6-3, 225, 4.7, NJ) - OLB/DE type. Offers from UNC, MICH, MICHSt, WISC, RUT, PSU, BC, PITT, MD, SYR, VA. BC, VA, UNC and MD are his top 4. Visiting UNC officially on 1/10. Insiders Rank: #15 DE
2b. Kory Gedin (6-2, 235, 4.6, MD) - 170 tackles. Offersfrom UNC, GAT, MD and WF and several others. UNC led earlier this summer. Came on unofficial on academic day. Lists VANDY, UNC and BC as his top 3 and leader seems to vary depending on the day and the service conducting the interview. Visiting officially on 12/6. Insiders Rank: #60 (one other service ranks him among the top 10 LBs in the nation).
2c. Vince Hall (6-1, 240, 4.7, VA) - 11 sacks. Offers from BC, CL, MD, UNC, PSU, PITT, SC, SYR, TN, VA, VAT. UNC one of his leaders.
2d. Fred Sparkman (6-1, 220, 4.6, TN) - 162 tackles and 15 sacks. Offers from UNC, TN, SC, AL, ARK and VANDY. Recently said that UNC leads. Visiting UNC officially on 12/6. Also plays FB in HS. Insiders Rank: #52 LB (other services rank him higher, one ranks him among the top 30 in the nation).
6. Larry Edwards (6-3, 220, 4.55, FL) - A player that has managed to slip under the recruiting gurus radar thus far, but a player to whom UNC extended an offer a couple of months back. No secret to other college coaches, however, as LSU, AUB and NEB have also offered. The above-mentioned 4 schools form his list of favorites.
7. Daniel Brooks (6-3, 235, 4.5, TN) - One of the nations top 10 LBs according to most. UNC is a new addition to his list of favorites, but is fighting the fact that it got invovled later than most and that his list of favorites includes several marquee programs that will be tough to beat.
8. Ryan Brown (6-2, 240, 4.6, SC) - 74 tackles. Offers from PSU, SC, CL, FL, NCSU, UNC, PSU, TN. UNC in the top 8 - has yet to narrow his list and/or schedule official visits. Insiders Rank: #14
9. LV Whitworth (6-0, 220, 4.5, MA) - LB/FB type. Offers from BC, MICH and UNC. BC currently leads. Rushed for over 1,000 yards as a junior.
10. Derron Thomas (6-1, 225, 4.8, MD) - 114 tackles and 4 sacks as a junior. UNC, PITT, SYR and GAT have offered. PITT, SYR and NCSU lead. Visiting UNC on 1/10.
Depth Charts 03
1. TB - Rikki Cook Soph, Chad Scott Jr, Jacque Lewis, Jr, [Willie Parker Sr], Mahlon Carey Soph (SS/TB), DJ Walker Rfr (TB/S)
2. FB - James Faison Sr, James Gibson Jr
3. FS - Dexter Reid Sr, [Michael Harris Sr]
4. SS - Chris Curry Jr, Tommy Richardson Soph, Rashaad Tindall Rfr
5. CB1 - Michael Waddell Sr, [Derrick Johnson Sr]
6. CB2 - Chris Hawkins Jr, Cedric Holt Soph, Jacobi Watkins Rfr
Needs: Given the depth chart for 03, as listed above, it is easy to see why UNC is seeking a TB only if he is really, really special, or possibly if he could also project to the S spot. A FB would be a luxury pick up given UNC's other needs and limited numbers, but if none are added FB will be a prime need in 04. A top S could be necessary if it looks like Reid will go pro early. The early success of Holt and Watkins makes CB less of need than it seemed to be a couple of months back.
Bryan Bethea (5-9, 175, 4.45, NC) - TB/CB prospect. Commited to UNC in the spring. Rushed for 1400 yards and 18 tds. Insiders Rank: #86 CB
Quinton Person (5-10, 175, 4.48, NC) - Rushed for 1500 yards and 18 tds as a junior. Committed to UNC over offers from VA, MD, WF and ECU. Camped at UNC. Insiders Rank: #89 RB
1. Tyrone Moss (5-10, 210, 4.4, FL) - RB/ATH. Rushed for over 2,000 yards as a junior and is ranked by some as the #1 back in the nation. Likes UNC, VAT and MIA. MIA and VAT will be very, very difficult to beat, but UNC is apparently putting on the full court press here and should get an official visit.
2. CJ Gaddis (6-0, 190, 4.37, NC) - Rushed and passed for over 2,000 and 16 tds as a junior. Multi-purpose athlete extraordinare who has the ability to project equally well at QB, TB, WR or DB (in the mold of Donovan McNabb, Leon Johnson, Peter Warrick and Dexter Reid athletically). Committed to Clemson early this summer but says he will take official visits to UNC, VA, CL and COL this winter. Visited unofficially for TX game.
3. Rashaun Grant (5-11, 190, 4.4, FL) - RB/WR/DB. Lists MIA, FL, GAT and UNC has his top 4. UNC should get an official visit.
4. Andre Callendar (5-10, 185, 4.45, NJ) - RB/S. Lists PSU over MICHST, UNC, BC, CL, PITT and RUT. All have offered. Insiders Rank: #27 RB
5. LaBrose Hedgemon (5-10, 180, 4.45, AL) - CB. Former teammate of current Tar Heel Danny Rumley. Camped at UNC. Nicknamed "spiderman." 9 ints. Offers from UNC, LSU, ARK, AUB, CLEM, MISST, WV, MISS, NCSU, OREST, COL, VANDY, IND, ND. Insiders Rank: #26 CB
6. Marcus Clayton (5-8, 170, 4.4, FL) - CB. Father played CB for the Atlanta Falcons. Visiting UNC officially on 12/6 and says that UNC currently leads. SYR, UNC, CL and IA have offered. 7 ints as a junior. Insiders Rank: #34 CB (some other national services have him among the top 15 CBs)
7. Adrian Griffin (6-0, 170, 4.45, GA) - CB. Visited UNC official in Oct. After his visit, had said that UNC leads, but has since reverted back to SC as his leader. Ranking; Top 20 CB.
8. Jeffery Robinson (6-1, 175, 4.5) - CB. Incredible 42" vertical shows his tremendous athleticsm. Favors UNC and GA, but GA has not offered as of yet. Also lists ECU and MD.
9. Terrance Graves (6-2, 210, 4.5, OH) - S/RB. Averaged 170 yards/game as a junior. Offers from UNC, CLEM, SC, CINCY and LOUIS. UNC is his current favorite. Says he wants to come South and is not considering the Northern/local schools. Suffered an injury early in sr year that is likely to put an end to further offers but is not thought to have any long-term effect on his game. Insiders Rank: #20 S
10. Marcus Mason (5-9, 200, 4.4, MD) - TB/S prospect in the mold of current Terp Bruce Perry. UNC has offered, but recent interviews indicate that UNC has not been in contact during the September call-in period.
POSITIONS AT WHICH UNC APPEARS TO DONE RECRUITING:
03 Depth Chart:
WR 1 - Jarwarski Pollock Soph, Brandon Russell Sr, Michael Gilmore Soph, Ian Firestone Rfr
WR 2 - Derrele Mitchell Soph, Danny Rumley Soph, Wallace Wright Soph, Duante Fields Rfr
Needs: With recent losses what was once viewed as a luxury has become more of a necessity. Look for 2 to be added.
Mike Mason (6-0, 180, 4.4, NC) - 56 catches, 975 yards and 10 tds as a junior. Committed to UNC very early - March. Consensus top 100 nationally. Insiders Rank: #15 WR
Adarius Bowman (6-3, 205, 4.45, TN) - 47 catches, 1300 yds and 20 tds as a junior. Committed to UNC over offers from UNC, MISS, ARK, TN, ND, WF, SC, VANDY, CL, AUB. Consensus Guru Rank: Top 15 WR
03 Depth Chart: Darian Durant Jr, CJ Stephens Sr, Matt Baker Soph
Needs: Seeking two as none were signed in 2002. Because UNC has two commitments already, recruiting at this position is, for all intents and purposes, done (absent signing an "athlete" who could project elsewhere as well).
Nick Cangelosi (6-4, 215, 4.7, NJ) - 2300 yds and 25 tds as a junior. Extremely quick release..draws comparisons to NFL prototype passers Dan Marino and Brett Favre. Committed to UNC over offers from BC, VAT, IA, RUT, MN, VANDY. Insiders Rank: #23 QB
Roger Heinz (6-1, 190, 4.6, FL) - 2500 yds and 29 tds as a junior. Draws comparisions to sharp, smart college passers Drew Bress and Major Applewhite. Camped at UNC. Committed to UNC over offers from AL, CL, MD, SC, WF, CINCY, LOUIS, USF Insiders Rank: #56 QB
03 Depth Chart: Bobby Blizzard Sr, Brian Chacos Soph, Lewis Burnham Rfr
Needs: One per year is the goal to satisfy depth, but a second could be added this year due to the fact that Chacos, Hamlet and Burnham have the potential to grow into OLs down the road.
John Hamlet (6-5, 255, 4.9, VA) - 22 catches, 353 yards and 1 td. Camped at UNC. Committed to UNC over offers from MD and VAT. FL and MD are continuing to recruit. TE/OL type. Insiders Rank: #54 TE (note: Rivals has him at #15)
03 Depth Chart
SSDE: [Issac Mooring Sr], Larry Jessup Jr, Madison Hedgecock Jr, Brian Rackley Rfr
WSDE: Will Chapman Sr, Jacques Dumas Jr, Tommy Davis Soph, Xaiver Rainey Rfr, Alden Blizzard Rfr
Needs: Two were the goal, and UNC has secured two commitments thus far. A third will be added only if elite or if one or more of the DE commitments are projected to potentially eventually slide down to DT.
Marcus Hands (6-6, 250, 4.7, NC) - Early spring commitment. DE/DT type depending upon future growth. Consensus national top 250 player. Teammate of current Heel Rashaad Tindall. Camped at UNC. Insiders Rank: #33 DE
Terry Hunter (6-4, 250, 4.75, NC) - Committed to UNC over offers from NCSU, TN and WF. DT/DE type depending upon future growth. Consensus national top 250 player. Camped at UNC. Insiders Rank: #31 DE