Wednesday's UNC Links

Today's Carolina links from around the ‘net.......

Carolina Football

North Carolina's second touchdown drive in Saturday's 40-6 win over The Citadel consisted of five running plays and one passing play. The 19th-ranked Tar Heels' lone touchdown drive of the second half consisted of 11 running plays and two passing plays.
Heels focus on the run
The News and Observer

After spending the past few seasons relying on a group of talented wide receivers to carry much of the offensive load, North Carolina began forging a new identity as a running team in Saturday's season-opening victory over The Citadel. And even though running back Shaun Draughn deserves much of the credit for helping UNC notch it's biggest day on the ground in the Butch Davis era with 261 yards, just as much credit also belongs to the offensive line.
UNC's linemen ready for next test
The Durham Herald-Sun

Opposing teams that got used to 10 years of mostly mediocre football at North Carolina are in for a rude awakening this season. Coach Butch Davis and his staff know how to build a winner, and it showed on the field during the Tar Heels' 40-6 victory Saturday against The Citadel at Kenan Stadium. The days of slow feet and paper-thin depth, on defense at least, are gone.
Things change, quickly, for UNC
The Chapel Hill News

Reggie Wilkins, a versatile offensive star from Shelby, committed to play football at North Carolina yesterday. Wilkins, a 5-10, 160-pound senior, made his decision after being in Chapel Hill last Saturday for UNC's win over The Citadel. Coach Roy Kirby of Crest said that Wilkins' decision came down to UNC and N.C. State. Wilkins also had offers from East Carolina, Colorado, Louisville, Western Carolina, N.C. A&T and Marshall. "He was tired of all the phone calls," Kirby said. "A lot of others were calling him besides the (college) coaches."
Shelby star commits to Tar Heels
The Winston-Salem Journal

The Huskies (1-0) make their home debut Saturday against No. 19 North Carolina (noon, ESPNU) at Rentschler Field, and Cullen fully expected to be the center of attention at the weekly media gathering. A year ago in Chapel Hill, the Tar Heels' Bruce Carter blocked three Cullen punts - the final one resulting in a touchdown - and Carolina went on to rout UConn 38-12. The Huskies would have two more punts blocked later in the year. Carter is also back for Carolina, which opened its season with a 40-6 win over The Citadel.
Huskies Punter Cullen In Spotlight With Tar Heels Coming To Town
The Day

Saturday offers the promise of big-time entertainment. And a bit of a risk. Here's why: The program isn't big enough yet to bum out the fan base in September. The game, as of Tuesday at noon, was not sold out. Carolina is not on enough minds, apparently. Athletic director Jeff Hathaway said "a little less than 4,000" tickets remained. It suggests that while the program has grown, it has still not reached the hearts of the entire state, certainly not to the level of basketball.
Facing UNC So Early In Schedule A Risky Proposition For UConn
The Day

Connecticut coach Randy Edsall concedes he doesn't have a tailback who can replace the production of Donald Brown, the nation's leading rusher last season and first-round pick of the Indianapolis Colts. But Edsall just might have two backs who together can get the job done when the Huskies (1-0) host No. 19 North Carolina (1-0) in East Hartford on Saturday.
Connecticut to use tailback tandem in place of Brown
The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

There is one indelible image, three, actually, that came out of last year's UConn game at North Carolina. North Carolina linebacker Bruce Carter blocked a Desi Cullen punt in the second quarter. Then he did it again. And just to prove those others weren't flukes, Carter busted free for a third blocked punt that resulted in a touchdown. All of that took place in the second quarter.
UConn wary of Tar Heels special teams
The Waterbury Republican-American

Carolina Basketball

Ruby Sutton has a distinct pet peeve when it comes to the subject of her former pupil, Michael Jordan: the oft-told story of how he was "cut" from the Laney High varsity basketball team as a sophomore, spurring him to greatness. "Back then, [most] 10th-graders played JV; that's just the way it was. Nobody ever 'cut' Michael Jordan," Sutton, who still teaches physical education, said earlier this month, shaking her head as she retold the story for at least the 100th time. "Him not making the varsity that year was not his motivator -- he was motivated well before that. He just always wanted to be the best."
Jordan's will to win came early
The News and Observer

Inside Carolina Top Stories