The game was in a scrimmage format. Both teams received three possessions that consisted anywhere between seven to 11 plays. Each possession started at the respective teams' 30-yard line. Following a touchdown or turnover, the offense would restart at its own 30-yard line.
Prior to the scrimmage, the teams competed in 7-on-7 passing drills.
While this game won't show up on UNC's schedule, the NCAA considers it just like any other game this season. If a true freshman played in the game, it would jeopardize his ability to red-shirt. Thus, true freshmen that are expected to redshirt were held out of this game.
Also, this game counts towards the allowable 12 regular season games. Any player who participated in the game can only play in 11 of UNC's "varsity" games.
* UNC's JV team started off with a defense composed of: Linwan Euwell (RE), Jordan Nix (DT), walk-on Adam Curry (NT), Donte Paige-Moss (LE), Dion Guy (SAM), Ebele Okakpu (MIKE), Herman Davidson (WILL), Mywan Jackson (CB), Gene Robinson (FS), Brian Gupton (SS), and LeCount Fantroy (CB).
During Possession 1, Paige-Moss was spelled by walk-on Kenny Owens at LDE for the final two plays. Owens also played most of Possession 3 at LDE and saw three plays at WILL during Possession 5.
Six plays into Possession 3, the entire defensive unit was replaced, with the exception of defensive linemen Euwell, Nix, and Curry. The replacements included Owens (LDE), walk-on Alex Crisp (SAM), Hawatha Bell (MIKE), walk-on Brandon Roberts (WILL), walk-on Pete Magnum (CB), walk-on Joshua Mason (FS), walk-on Josh Bridges (SS), and walk-on Josh Stewart (CB).
UNC came out for Possession 5 with the same front seven it ended Possession 3 with, but used the secondary it started the game with. Two plays in Euwell flipped to LDE, Vince Jacobs filled Euwell's vacancy at RDE, and Owens subbed in at WLB for Roberts.
Also during Possession 5, Bell lined up at LDE and walk-on Hayden Hunter subbed in at MIKE for the final six plays; for the final four plays walk-ons Matthew Wiley and William Hyman filled in at the OLB spots and the entire secondary was replaced by the secondary that started Possession 3, while Euwell returned to RE for the final two plays.
* Offensively, the following players started for UNC's JV team: Braden Hanson (QB), walk-on Curtis Byrd (FB), walk-on Steven Hatley (TB), Todd Harrelson (WR), Dwight Jones (WR), Randy White (TE), walk-on Sam Ellis (LT), walk-on Peyton Jenest (LG), Tavares Brown (OC), walk-on Trey Strickland (RG), and Brennan Williams (RT).
UNC's offensive line depth problems extended to its JV team. Three offensive linemen were on the field for all 30 snaps – Ellis, Jenest, and Strickland. While Ellis and Jenest played the same position, Strickland split time at RG and RT.
When UNC lined up in a three-wide shotgun formation during Possession 2, Rashad Mason served as the third wide out. He also lined up at tight end four times in Possession 4.
Walk-on Lee Browne was in on two red zone plays at wide receiver during Possession 2 and one play during Possession 4 as the third receiver.
In the lone play in Possession 2 that included an H-back, Vince Jacobs held that role. He also saw two snaps during Possession 2 and three snaps during Possession 4 at tight end.
Mike Paulus came out at quarterback for Possession 4. The rest of the backfield, tight end, and offensive line remained the same, but Jheranie Boyd and walk-on Quentin Plair lined up at wide out.
Hanson returned under center for Possession 6, as did Byrd, at least for formations that called for a FB. Harrelson saw every snap of Possession 6, while fellow WRs Browne, walk-on Michael Folk, and Mason rotated in opposite of him. At TE, Mason, White, and Jacobs split time. Outside of two plays, Carter Brown saw every play of Possession 6 at TB.
Five plays into Possession 4, Strickland moved to RT, while walk-on Scott Mincey replaced Brown at OC and walk-on T. Moore Evins filled Strickland's vacancy at RG. The three linemen, along with Ellis and Jenest, made up the offensive line for the rest of the possession (5 plays) and the first 2 plays of Possession 6.
After Possession 6's first two plays, the interior right side of the offensive line saw several personnel changes. Walk-ons Taylor Hanson and Jordan Marsh subbed in at OC and RG, respectively, but Brown returned to OC seven plays in and T. Moore Evins returned to RG 9 plays in.
* Although it's hard to ignore the interception and two fumbled snaps (the latter of which likely had somewhat to do with an inexperienced center), Hanson had a standout day passing and was arguably the most impressive participant Tuesday. All 11 of his passes were caught – ten by UNC receivers and one (intercepted) by future Tar Heel and current Hargrave DB D.J. Bunn.
It wasn't just Hanson's completion percentage that was impressive, it was his completion percentage coupled with his pass selection. Half of his completions resulted in 19-yard or greater gains and were on middle to deep routes.
In spite of his one sack, Hanson showed great pocket presence and hit his check down receivers when necessary.
* Donte Paige-Moss came out of the gate on fire. In just 11 plays, he recorded a sack, a QB hurry, and another tackle. What doesn't show up in the box score was his consistency to dominate the opposing offensive lineman and penetrate into the backfield, and also appear to be within a couple of yards of every play.
* Hawatha Bell was another defender that, if he didn't make the play, was within yards of the action. As soon as he stepped onto the field six plays into Possession 3, it felt like he was all over the place. He also flashed his versatility by lining up at defensive end for six plays, which included a sack and forced fumble.
* Speaking of versatility, Vince Jacobs epitomized that word Tuesday. He not only played two positions on offense, he also saw snaps at RE. He wasn't targeted at all while lined up at either tight end or H-back, but in just seven plays on defense he accumulated two tackles, including a sack, and a QB hurry.
* Todd Harrelson and Dwight Jones may have benefited more from Tuesday's game than anyone else. Both players often get caught in the wide receiver shuffle on Saturdays, but were able to spread their wings against Hargrave. Jones, a Hargrave alum, turned all three of his targets into receptions for a game-best 81 yards and a touchdown. Harrelson caught both passes thrown his way for 49 yards and also took an end around 16 yards.
* The UNC recruits on the Hargrave squad didn't see enough game action to earn mention as standout performers.
* This game was originally scheduled for a full game format, but because of UNC's depth issues, a decision was made to make this into a shortened scrimmage format instead.
* Hargrave defensive lineman Ego Ferguson still has not scheduled an official visit with UNC. However, he seems likely to do so and his relationship with Johnnie Farms should only help UNC's chances. Ferguson is looking at the weekend of Nov. 14 when UNC plays Miami.
* Speaking of Farms, he has recently received inquiries from other schools, including Auburn, though has yet to indicate any interest in re-thinking his commitment.
* Hargrave DT Josh Watson, who was offered by UNC a month ago, recently picked up a scholarship offer from Duke. Connecticut, Kent State, Syracuse, and Virginia have also offered.
|North Carolina Tar Heels|
|North Carolina Tar Heels|
|North Carolina Tar Heels|
|North Carolina Tar Heels|
- 1-10 at H30 Goods rush up middle for 8 yards to the H38. (Curry)
- 2-2 at H38 Goods rush up middle for 3 yards to the H41. (Paige-Moss) 1ST DOWN
- 1-10 at H41 Macarthy pass incomplete to Long, QB hurry by Paige-Moss.
- 2-10 at H41 Macarthy pass incomplete to Cleckley, QB hurry by Guy.
- 3-10 at H41 Macarthy sacked for loss of 9 yards to the H32, fumble forced by Paige-Moss, fumble by Macarthy recovered by Goods at H35. (Paige-Moss)
- 4-16 at H35 Macarthy pass intercepted by Robinson at NC41, lateral to Jackson, Jackson return 59 yards to the H0. TOUCHDOWN
- 1-10 at H30 Macarthy sacked for loss of 9 yards to the H21. (Owens)
- 1-10 at NC30 Hanson pass complete to Byrd for 19 yards to the NC49. (Madison) 1ST DOWN
- 1-10 at NC49 Hanson pass complete to Jones for 22 yards to the H29. (Madison) 1ST DOWN
- 1-10 at H29 Hatley rush up middle for 9 yards to the H20. (O'Grady)
- 2-1 at H20 Hatley rush up middle for 9 yards to the H11. (Farrington) 1ST DOWN
- 1-10 at H11 Hanson pass complete to Jones for 11 yards to the H0. TOUCHDOWN
- 1-10 at NC30 Harrelson end around left for 16 yards to the NC46. (Madison)
- 1-10 at NC46 Hanson pass complete to Jones for 48 yards to the H6. (Wood)
- 1-G at H6 Hatley rush up middle for 2 yards to the H4. (Watson)
- 2-G at H4 Hatley rush up middle for 2 yards to the H2. (Wood)
- 3-G at H2 Hatley rush up middle for 0 yards to the H2. (Kee)
- 1-10 at H30 Rhodes rush up middle for 7 yards to the H37. (Okakpu)
- 2-3 at H37 Ingram rush right for 2 yards to the H39. (Okakpu)
- 3-1 at H39 Goods rush up middle for 3 yards H42. (Okakpu) 1ST DOWN
- 1-10 at H42 Ingram pass incomplete to Long. (Fantroy)
- 2-10 at H42 Rhodes rush right for 2 yards to the H44. (Guy, Robinson)
- 3-8 at H44 Ingram pass complete to Haynie for 7 yards to the NC49. (Bell)
- 4-1 at NC49 Goods rush up middle for 3 yards to the NC46. (Bell) 1ST DOWN
- 1-10 at NC46 Ingram pass complete to Owah for 7 yards to the NC39. (Crisp)
- 2-3 at NC39 Ingram rush left for 20 yards to the NC19. (Stewart) 1ST DOWN
- 1-10 at NC19 Ingram pass complete to Long for 8 yards to the NC11. (Magnum)
- 2-2 at NC11 Ingram pass complete to Long for 11 yards to the NC0. TOUCHDOWN
- 1-10 at NC30 fumble by Paulus, recovered by Green at the NC29, Green 0 yards to the NC29.
- 1-10 at NC30 Paulus pass completed to Boyd for 70 yards to the H0, TOUCHDOWN, PENALTY, NO PLAY
- 1-10 at NC30 Paulus pass incomplete to Boyd.
- 2-10 at NC30 Paulus pass complete to Plair 0 yards to the NC30. (Fox)
- 3-10 at NC30 Paulus pass incomplete to Plair.
- 4-10 at NC30 Paulus pass incomplete to Plair. (Fox)
- 1-10 at NC30 Hatley rush up middle for 4 yards to the NC34 (Ferguson)
- 2-6 at NC34 Paulus pass incomplete to Plair.
- 3-6 at NC34 Paulus pass incomplete to Plair.
- 1-10 at H30 Ingram pass incomplete to Carr.
- 2-10 at H30 Rhodes rush up middle for 1 yard to the H31. (Curry)
- 3-9 at H31 Ingram pass complete to Blackwell for 6 yards to the H37, QB hurry by Jacobs. (Gupton)
- 4-3 at H37 Ingram pass incomplete to Owah. (Jacobs)
- 1-10 at H30 Ingram sacked for loss of 1 yard to the H29. (Jacobs)
- 2-11 at H29 Macarthy pass incomplete, QB hurry by Nix.
- 3-11 at H29 Macarthy pass complete to Long for 0 yards to the H29. (Stewart)
- 4-11 at H29 Macarthy rush left for 0 yards to the H20, fumble forced by Bell, fumbled by Macarthy recovered by Hargrave at H35. (Bell)
- 1-10 at NC30 Hanson rush left for 5 yards to the NC35. (Banks), PENALTY, NO PLAY
- 1-10 at NC30 Hanson pass intercepted by Bunn at the NC43, Bunn return 43 yards to the NC0. TOUCHDOWN
- 1-10 at NC30 fumble by Hanson, recovered by Brown at the NC26, Brown return 7 yards NC33. (Madison, Watson)
- 2-7 at NC33 Hanson pass complete to White for 6 yards to the NC39. (Madison)
- 3-1 at NC39 Hanson pass complete to Byrd for 9 yards to the NC48. (Bunn) 1ST DOWN
- 1-10 at NC48 Hanson pass complete to Harrelson for 35 yards to the H17. (Banks) 1ST DOWN
- 1-10 at H17 fumble by Hanson, recovered by Alexander at the H19, Alexander return 0 yards to the H19.
- 1-10 at NC30 Hanson sacked for loss of 5 to the NC25. (Ferguson)
- 2-15 at NC25 Hanson pass complete to Brown for 2 yards to the NC27. (Forney)
- 3-13 at NC27 Hanson pass complete to Harrelson for 24 yards to the H49. (Wood) 1ST DOWN
- 1-10 at H49 Hanson pass complete to Byrd for 21 yards to the H28. (Wood)
Check back tomorrow for video highlights from the game ...