UNC to Watch Chol

Angelo Chol, from San Diego (Calif.) Hoover High, has emerged as one of the most heavily recruited post players in the country and the humble and hard working 6-foot-8 junior is starting to figure out what he's looking for.

It could be easy for Chol to rely on his natural athleticism and size, but hard work looks to have played a huge role in his early development.

"I'd say about 70 percent of my game is stuff that has come from me working in the gym and the other 30 percent is natural ability," said Chol. "You could say that I'm a gym rat."

After breaking onto the scene as a freshman who racked up huge shotblocking totals, schools like Alabama, Florida, Kansas, Washington, Connecticut, UCLA, Wyoming, Arizona State, Virginia and Georgetown came calling. With so many good options, Chol struggles with the process at times.

"It's tough, right now I'm not even sure what to do," said Chol of how he's handling his recruitment. "Schools are coming to me and telling me different things. They all seem like they have things that would fit for me. I can see myself going to all of them so it's hard deciding what to do."

One other school that has become more involved of late is North Carolina. In fact, Roy Williams is expected to be on hand to watch Chol play at the Bishop Gorman Classic Las Vegas.

"North Carolina hasn't offered me yet," Chol said. "They came out to watch me during the summer and said they'd be coming back this winter."

From the sounds of it, the relationship between Chol and the Tar Heels is still in the 'get-to-know-you' stage.

"They've been calling, but I always seem to miss their call," Chol said of the Tar Heel staff. "I think it could be a good school to go to. I haven't met the coaches or anything yet, so it's still getting to know them."

As it stands, Chol isn't likely to be making a decision in the near future and he's a safe bet to use several unofficial and official visits to tour schools. He's going to lean on his high school coach Ollie Goulston for advice and is looking for a place that he can step in and play.

"I will rely on my coach mostly. He knows what he's doing and he's helped to get me this far. He helps me to balance things out," Chol said. "I don't want to sound bad, but I want to go somewhere and be able to get playing time. I'd like to have an opportunity to play a lot early if possible."

Chol Scouting Report:
"Hailed as a shotblocker and rebounder early in his career, Chol certainly does those things at a high level. He's got very long arms, good timing and is quick off the floor. Offensively, the lefty has soft touch and has learned how to fully extend on scoring moves to the goal allowing him to score over pretty much anybody. Last week, Chol averaged 21 points, 14.5 rebounds and 8.8 blocks over a four game stretch to lead Hoover to a tournament championship.

Angelo Chol Profile

Inside Carolina Top Stories