• Pat Fitzgerald said today's practice was "good", and has been pleased with the whole week. "The guys are working, it's the heart or the grind……it's practice, there's good and bad, you got to keep working."
• Though it is a home game, the Michigan fight song played throughout Northwestern's practice today.
• As usual, the start of practice involved the players breaking into their positions. It was interesting watching the wide receivers. Coach Dennis Springer had the group working on fundamentals, such as making timely cuts.
• Mike Trumpy limped around practice, as he was wearing a big black brace around his left leg.
• The Wildcats' first-team defense got a good look at Michigan QB Denard Robinson. Freshman defensive back Nick VanHoose has the duty of simulating the Heisman Trophy Contender. Fitzgerald said, "I don't think you can duplicate what Denard can do, but I think (VanHoose) is giving it everything he's got."
• Fitzgerald has been happy with the effort of freshman linebacker Andrew Smith. Fitzgerald thinks of highly of the freshman's future. "He has fun, I really like Drew a lot, he's got a really bright future."
• Persa's best pass of the day was on a deep pass to senior superback Drake Dunsmore. Persa led his target perfectly, and Dunsmore made a nice running catch.
• The play of the day came from freshman receiver Christian Jones, who made an impressive catch in double-coverage while getting a foot in bounds along the sidelines.
Stay with PurpleWildcats.com for more game week coverage. We will have video breakdowns, game week analysis, information on official visitors, and more throughout the week. Make PurpleWildcats.com your authority for Northwestern athletics.