• Fitz on Evans: "He's a very explosive athlete from what I've seen. He's putting himself in a position to compete for (the starting spot) and we'll see if it unfolds and happens."
• Though Fitz described Trevor Siemian as 1B on the depth chart, there's no quarterback controversy. "If we were playing here in a couple days, there's no question Kain would be our starting quarterback."
• Fitz said that the secondary actually had a better spring than the receivers and was cautious about the hype they've been getting from the media. "I really do appreciate you guys saying this group might be the best we've ever had. I'm not ready to say that yet."
• There are a lot of names at the superback spot, but no defined roles.
• On the new Under Armour uniforms: "Players love them, obviously to be the first Big Ten school to have a partnership with Under Armour. The young men love the technology. Recruits love them."
• Fitz said he is happy for some of the new NCAA rule tweaks that help with player safety, but he doesn't understand the rule that touchbacks will be placed on the 25 yard line on kickoffs. "I'm not sure why and maybe that's unique to college football, but maybe a year from now we'll just put the ball back where it belongs on a touchback."
• Fitz said NU will do what it takes to win, but would prefer to run less from the quarterback spot. "A year ago we had to run the quarterback way too much. Kain had way too many yards at the quarterback position for my liking."
• Venric Mark switched from wide receiver to running back this fall in addition to his punt and kick return duties.
• Quentin Williams is coming along after his injury and although he couldn't play in the spring, he said teaching the younger guys was valuable because it helped him learn as well.
For more coverage of Northwestern football, check out InsideNU.com