Green injured; released from hospital

Northwestern sophomore running back Treyvon Green suffered an injury in Friday's practice, but tests revealed he is in good health after the incident.

Northwestern sophomore running back Treyvon Green was taken away from practice in an ambulance for precautionary reasons after a tackle struck his upper body.

Green was down for more than 15 minutes, but had movement in all four limbs. No further details to the injury's extent were given.

Northwestern doctors rushed to Green's assistance immediately after the tackle. After he received assistance from team personnel, medical authorities rushed to the scene.

The Nicolet Football Center indoor practice facility was fully cleared of Northwestern players, coaches, and practice observers. Players gathered for a prayer before dispersing; many were visibly shaken up.

NU head coach Pat Fitzgerald and running backs coach Matt MacPherson traveled along with Green in the ambulance. Friday's practice, the Wildcats' first in full pads, ended immediately after the incident.

UPDATE: Pat Fitzgerald released a statement on Green's status:

"During Friday's practice, sophomore running back Treyvon Green was injured and transported to the hospital for precautionary reasons. After a thorough evaluation, all tests results returned negative and we expect Treyvon to be released from the hospital this evening and make a full recovery. I would like to thank our entire athletic training staff for their quick response and care in this situation. The safety and welfare of our student-athletes, for which we are responsible on a daily basis, is our top priority at all times."

Chris Emma has covered recruiting, college athletics and professional baseball for FOX Sports Next since 2009. Emma covered the Nebraska Cornhuskers for Big Red Report, and currently covers the Northwestern Wildcats and Chicago Cubs. He currently resides on Chicago's north side.
Facebook | Twitter| E-Mail |

Purple Wildcats Top Stories