· Ifeadi Oenigbo is out for the season with a shoulder injury; he will get a medical redshirt, as he has played fewer than 25 percent of the time this season
· Coach Fitzgerald talked about 50/50 balls for the defensive backs, reiterating what he said in the post-game press conference that the DBs need to win more of those. "There's kind of an old philosophy out there for secondary converage and wide receiver routes that he who jumps first catches the ball. And in all those routes we jumped second. So we'll try to jump first this week."
· On playing in October, Fitzgerald said the team has had trouble in the past, and that was a point of emphasis in the offseason. "We need to have an approach of no excuses. We've gotta time manage… We've been pretty salty in September, we've been pretty good in November, and October's our month. WE talked about it in the offseason, we talked about having a plan, of time managing better, of making sure we're getting done what we need to get done when we need to get it done."
· Fitzgerald said that schematically, previous Penn State teams under Joe Paterno and this team under Bill O'Brien are "completely different."
· Linebacker David Nwabuisi underlined the fact that Northwestern has been 5-0 in recent year. "Just ‘cause we have this ranking now doesn't mean that Penn State's gonna be like ‘We don't get to play Northwestern this week ‘cause they're ranked now, they get an automatic win…" Every week, the other team's gonna be bringing it, we're gonna get the best out of every team week in and week out."
· Venric Mark talked about Kain Colter's ability on offense and said he's able to get open at wide receiver, "Because he's a great athlete. Our offense is meant to require space and Kain is just a great athlete, he runs great routes, and if you don't have the right scheme on defense to cover him then you can't."
· Nwabuisi is one of the more veteran players on the team, and talked about playing in Happy Valley with 105,000 screaming Penn State fans. "I remember walking in and all lit up, they packed their stadium. It was an interesting experience but once they snapped the ball, I didn't really notice much after that. It's just gonna be like any other week."