• Siemian, on the other hand, was inconsistent in scrimmage time. He was intercepted one play after hitting Trumpy, and struggled with timing and crossing routes at the intermediate level. He looked great on deep plays though, and found a wide-open Christian Jones over the middle on one rep.
• Jones was the standout receiver Tuesday, three days after he caught a touchdown pass against Syracuse. He absolutely torched Mike Eshun on a streak, and was targeted throughout the morning.
• After toying with a four-defensive end front in practice last week and against the Orange, Northwestern went back to a standard D-line Tuesday. Deonte Gibson and Tyler Scott manned the end spots, while Will Hampton and Chance Carter played on the inside. When Ifeadi Odenigbo saw time, however, he created excellent pressure and forced both Siemian and Matt Alviti out of the pocket.
• The Wildcat linebackers were the strongest defensive unit Tuesday. Chi Chi Ariguzo was all over the field, to no surprise, and Collin Ellis looked aggressive defending against short routes. He broke up a couple of passes before snagging a pick in the flat and jogging to the end zone...he has a habit of doing that.
• Alviti and Andrew Scanlan continue to show great chemistry, both in practice squad reps and off the field. Scanlan was heard hilariously barking his quarterback's name after one set.
• Jimmy Hall played at safety for a portion of the first-team reps replacing Traveon Henry. Henry took his spot back some 15 minutes later, but Hall looked good over the top and figures to be involved as a nickel back Saturday.
• The cornerbacks gave a lot of room to their assignments Tuesday, with Dwight White playing particularly deep and cautious. Syracuse averaged just 10.4 yards per catch last weekend, while Western Michigan has averaged 10.6 through its first two losses.
• After practice, Fitz said that the current redshirt freshman class has "a lot of work to do," despite fantastic starts from Odenigbo, Ian Park and Dan Vitale.
Northwestern will be back to its regular 4 p.m. practice time tomorrow. Today's session was moved up due to the heat.