Last time it was the Cedrick Banks show as the UIC Guard lit up the Cats for 31 points in a 70-53 win.
These guys have already played 10 games, including a tournament. They're 8-2 and on a 2 game winning streak.Putting them in categories:
Their coached by Jimmy Collins [UIC Photo left], one of the best coaches in UIC history. He's already got 41 wins in 2 years as he's brought the Flames back with a good mix of Chicago Public League kids.
And these guys know NU's Jitim Young -- the Banks vs Young battle started back when Jitim was at Gordon Tech and Banks was a Westinghouse. UIC's Martell Bailey, Justin Bowen, Aaron Carr, Marcetteaus McGee, Elliott Poole, Armond Williams, [right] and Josh Williams are all out of the Public League.
All 5 starters for the Flames are Seniors, another challenge since they probably won't get shaken up by whatever the Wildcats bring to the United Center Saturday.
- The Big Gun - #34 Senior Guard Cedrick Banks [UIC Photo left] averaging 19.6 ppg - he's the scoring leader in 7 of their 10 games. Preseason player of the year in the Horizon League too. Leading scorer for UIC for the past 2 years.
- Deadeye Dick - #44 Forward Elliot Poole has the best shooting percentage [.606]
- The Bomber [most 3 Point shots] - Cedrick Banks with 67 attempts this year, #32 Aaron Carr has 45 shots from the arc.
- Off the Boards - # 30 Forward Armond Williams - 5.9 boards per game - #42 Joe Scott has 11 blocked shots.
- Charity Stripe - Don't foul #32 Aaron Carr - he's 78% from the line, and Banks is 75%
- Pickpocket - #30 Armond Williams 2 per game, Banks and #3 Martell Bailey also average close to 2.
- Super Sub - Has to be Elliot Poole [right] - playing 16.7 minutes a game - 5.4 ppg and
- Helping Hands - #3 Martell Baily averages 8.4 per game.
- Forward: #32 Aaron Carr [6-4/195/Sr]., #30 Armond Williams [6-4/210/Sr].
- Center: #42 Joe Scott [6-9/230/Sr.]
- Guard: #3 Martell Bailey [5-10/170/Sr.], #34 Cedrick Banks [6-2/165/Sr.]
- Forwards: 6-7 Soph Elliot Poole [16+ Mins per game] - has 1 start., # 25 Justin Bowen [10.3 mpg]
- Center: C Josip Petrusic [6-10/240/Jr.]
- Guards: #15 Marcetteaus McGee [6-1 Fr.]
- Don't let Banks light us up this time
- Watch out for senior guard Martell Bailey - he's only shooting .355 [25 of 71], way under what you'd expect from a starter. If the Cats control Banks, he just might step up.
- Play good D - these guys don't turn the ball over much - they average 12 TOs a game.
- Take care of the ball - even though they don't steal that much [8 per game].
Beat 'em All!
|Talk about it on the Purple Boards