Notre Dame Starters and Key Contributors
- Forward: 6'8" 235-pound senior Tim Abromaitis: Has connected on 50 percent of his field goal attempts (19-38) and 13 of 14 free throws since failing to squeeze off a shot in the January 24 upset at then-No. 2 Pittsburgh…Produced 11 boards, 3 assists, 3 steals, 2 blocked shots and just two turnovers in wins last week over Louisville and South Florida…Has accepted the role of defending the team's best swingman/shooting guard, allowing classmates Scott Martin and Carleton Scott to play more off the ball, offering weak side defensive help (Martin and Scott combined for seven blocks in two games last week)…Ranks second on the squad in minutes played, scoring, rebounding, free throw and three-point field goal percentage.
- Forward: 6'8" 232-pound senior Tyrone Nash: Team's most versatile defender routinely guards the best opposing post player but switches seamlessly on pick-and-roll plays, keying the team's defensive resurgence this winter…Much more effective when he's able to hit the flashing cutter or spot-up shooter from the post, Nash was 5 for 6 from the floor but did not attempt a free throw in last Saturday's win vs. South Florida after shooting 31 foul shots over the previous five contests…Has 25 boards including nine offensive over the last four outings while scoring 35 points on 24 attempts (six in each of the last four games) in that span…Has a knack for the defensive board after defending penetrating guards, both in man-to-man and help-side situations.
- Guard/Forward: 6'8" 219-pound senior Scott Martin: Enjoyed another strong all-around game (10 points, 7 boards, 3 blocks, 2 steals, 1 assist and just two missed shots) in road win vs. South Florida…Recent four-game totals of 45 points, 22 boards, and 10 assists – while shooting 50 percent from the floor and 84.6 percent from the foul line – rank as his best streak of the season…Has averaged nearly 34 minutes per game during seven-game winning streak, shooting 43 percent from the floor and 75 percent from the charity stripe in that span – Martin previously had missed 16 of 22 shots including 7 of 8 from long range in back-to-back road losses to Marquette and St. John's (the senior has knocked down 9 of 18 from downtown, since).
- Guard: 6'3" 203-pound senior Ben Hansbrough: Connected for 12 points and 8 assists after sitting due to early foul trouble vs. South Florida last Saturday…Among the league's player of the year candidates, Hansbrough had scored 24 or more in four of the team's previous five contests (all wins) and has averaged 20.8 per game during the seven-game winning streak…Shooting a touch over 50 percent from the field, 36 percent from long range, and 78 percent from the charity stripe during the same span…In addition to running the offense and serving as the team's chief scorer at crunch time, the 5th-year senior defends the opponent's toughest backcourt player on a nightly basis.
- Forward: 6'8" 218-pound senior Carleton Scott: Irish have won seven straight since his return to the lineup vs. then-No. 25 Cincinnati on January 19 (team was just 2-2 with Scott sidelined due to a hamstring injury)…Leads the team in blocked shots (1.8 per game), rebounding (6.9 per contest) and free throw percentage (88.2%) while ranking second among qualifiers in field goal percentage (49.1%) and third in three-point field goal percentage (39.3%); his 1.2 turnovers-per-game ranks tied with freshman point guard Eric Atkins for the team low…Has ripped down 54 boards in six starts since returning from injury to augment 76 points and 11 blocks in that span.
- Guard: 6'2" 173-pound freshman Eric Atkins: Has dished out 19 assists vs. just two turnovers over the last three outings and has suffered a mere five turnovers in the last 167 games minutes during the team's 7-game winning streak…Failed to score (0-4 from the field) at South Florida, his first bagel since the Big East opener vs. Georgetown…Has not hit double-digit point totals since a 12-point first half vs. Marquette but remains instrumental to the Irish offense, allowing star guard Ben Hansbrough to play off the ball for about 20 minutes per contest.
- Center/Forward: 6'9" 248-pound sophomore Jack Cooley: – Produced the best game of his collegiate career with 18 points on 9-10 shooting in blowout win at South Florida last Saturday…Hit 15 consecutive buckets over a three-game span (Rutgers, Louisville, and South Florida), a streak that included eight field goals earned due to his own efforts on the offensive glass…Has 29 points and nine offensive rebounds (11 total) in his last 28 minutes played…In the three league games in which he's appeared for at least 16 minutes, Cooley secured a total of 20 boards in 52 aggregate minutes…Has connected at a 68 percent clip on his 69 field goal attempts this season.