Notre Dame Starters and Key Contributors
- Forward: 6'8" 235-pound senior Tim Abromaitis: Ranks second on the squad in scoring (15.4), rebounding (6.2), minutes played (34), and 3-point FG (42.9%)...Is likely in line for third-team all-conference honors after earning honorable mention last season…Has posted 20 or more points in four of his last six games including a season-high 30-point effort Monday vs. Villanova…Has hit 17 of his last 29 three-point attempts over the last three contests…Irish are 12-0 when he scores 19 or more points this season including a 6-0 mark vs. NCAA Tournament-bound teams… Has put forth three notable defensive efforts over the last two weeks vs. the opponent's best shooter, holding Louisville's Preston Knowles to 13 points (5 of 17 shooting); Seton Hall's Jeremy Hazell to 14 (5-13); and Villanova's Corey Stokes to 9 (3 of 8)…Has hit 13 of 41 three-point shots in Big East road games this season (41.9%) after hitting just 15 of 54 (27.7%) last year.
- Forward: 6'8" 218-pound senior Carleton Scott: Has collected a team-high 48 boards in his last five games to help offset a personal shooting slump (18-51 from the floor) in that span…Scott has also misfired on 18 of his last 25 shots from beyond the arc after drilling 11 of his previous 21 since returning from a hamstring injury on January 19…Irish are 22-3 with Scott in the lineup this season and 27-4 in his last 31 starts dating back to February 24 (a win vs. #16 Pittsburgh) last season…ND is 10-1 in Scott's career when he totals double-digit rebounds (including 8-1 this season)…Has blocked at least two shots in eight straight and in 17 of 25 games played this season…Irish are 11-1 this season when Scott hits multiple 3-point shots…In a statistical oddity, Scott has not connected on more than five field goals in Big East action this season (he did so on just three occasions in non-conference play including a 6-9 effort with a season-high 23 points vs. Gonzaga in mid-December).
- Forward: 6'8" 232-pound senior Tyrone Nash: Has 47 points, 38 boards, 18 assists, and just 10 turnovers in his last five outings; his 17 offensive boards leads the team in that five-game span…Posted the second double-double of his conference season Monday, scoring 11 with 11 boards vs. Villanova…Has collected 57 boards in his last eight games after averaging just 4.2 rebounds over his previous six contests…Has encountered foul trouble in just two of his last 12 contests after averaging 4.5 fouls per game during a mid-season slump (in which the Irish finished 2-2)…Last three contests have produced 14 assists vs. 5 turnovers and has connected on 17 field goals in his last 25 attempts over the last five games…Finished third on the team with 80 assists…Next victory will allow Nash's 2007 recruiting class (of which he was the only member) to break the school-record for most wins in an Irish career.
- Guard/Forward: 6'8" 219-pound senior Scott Martin: Has one Big East double-double to his credit this season (at Marquette) but has led the Irish in rebounding on four occasions while pacing the team in blocked shots three times…Ranks fourth on the team in scoring (9.7) and rebounding (4.8)…Has connected on at least one three-point shot in six consecutive games after doing so in just six of his first 11 league contests…Martin has not visited the free throw line in the last five contests after shooting 25 free throws over the previous five games…Hit double digits in seven of eight league road games but in just six of nine home matchups…A more aggressive player away from South Bend, Martin posted conference season highs in road games in seven different categories (15 at. DePaul), rebounds (11 at Marquette), assists (6 at Syracuse), blocked shots (3 at South Florida), field goal attempts (15 at Marquette), three-point attempts (6 at Marquette, Pittsburgh, and West Virginia) and three-point field goals made (3 at Pittsburgh).
- Guard: 6'3" 203-pound senior Ben Hansbrough: Scored 20 or more points in nine of 17 Big East contests this season including scoring explosions in two of the last three of 30-plus…His 30-point, 10-assist, 5-steal effort in 39 minutes vs. Villanova on Monday was the second such effort in conference history – the first notched by Syracuse's Johnny Flynn in a six-overtime contest vs. Connecticut in the 2009 Big East quarterfinals (Flynn played 67 minutes that evening en route to 34 points, 11 assists, and 6 steals)…Hansbrough has committed more turnovers than assists on just four occasions this season (Irish are 2-2 in those contests, losing at Marquette and St. John's and defeating Georgia and Louisville)…Leads the Irish in scoring (18.4), assists (4.2), 3-point FG percentage (43.7), FT percentage (81.8), steals (1.3), and minutes per game (35.2)…Hansbrough has played 37 minutes or more in 13 of Notre Dame's 17 conference games to date including six of the last seven contests…Attempted at least seven free throws in seven league games this season…Drew eight fouls from Wildcat defenders in the first 32 minutes vs. Villanova on Monday.
- Guard: 6'2" 173-pound freshman Eric Atkins: True freshman ranks first in the Big East in assist-to-turnover ration, a shade ahead of West Virginia 5th-year senior Joe Mazzulla and Connecticut Player of the Year Candidate, Kemba Walker…Failed to score in three of the last five games though attempted two or fewer shots in four of those contests…Hit a pair of pressure free throws to seal a 94-93 win vs. Providence, the team's fourth road victory in their last five trips outside South Bend…Averaged 10 ppg. over a six-game period in January (5 starts) but has scored just 23 points in the nine games since…Produced a sterling four-game stretch with 22 assists vs. three turnovers but has since dished out just five assists with five miscues in the last four contests…Has hit 25 of his last 31 foul shots (12 games).
- Center/Forward: 6'9" 248-pound sophomore Jack Cooley: Second on the squad in offensive rebounds despite averaging just 10.3 minutes per contest (one every seven game minutes)…Nearly half of his total rebounds have occurred on the offensive end…His 15 blocked shots over 298 total minutes equate to two blocks per game (40 minutes)…Connected on 48 of his 73 field goal attempts this season including a stretch of 15 consecutive.