The extensive pre-season list totals 75 wide receivers, including four from the Arkansas Razorbacks, three from the Alabama Crimson Tide, and six individuals set to face the Irish in 2011.
Floyd was likewise nominated to the list last season as was Golden Tate in 2009. Tate captured the honor following the '09 season, marking the first time an Irish player won the award, instituted in 1994.
Former Irish wide receiver Jeff Samardzija was a finalist in 2005 and watch list member in 2006.
Floyd snared 12 touchdown passes in as many starts last season, leading the Irish with 1,025 yards and 79 receptions. The senior was reinstated to football activities by head coach Brian Kelly – meaning he's allowed to participate in summer workouts, though not yet officially reinstated for the upcoming season.
Along with classmate Dayne Crist, Floyd was nominated to the Maxwell Award's Watch List on Tuesday. The award is presented annually to the nation's outstanding player.
Foes to watch: Six Irish opponents, including three in successive September matchups, join Floyd on the Biletnikoff Watch List.
- Roy Roundtree (September 10) – Michigan wideout notched eight receptions for 82 yards and a score vs. Notre Dame last fall. Roundtree's final reception, a 15-yard gain on 3rd and 5, set up the Wolverines' game-winning score.
- B.J. Cunningham (September 17) – 6'3" 225-pound Michigan State target amassed 15 receptions for 197 yards and a touchdown in three career games vs. the Irish.)
- Mike Shanahan (September 24) – 6'5" 220-pound Pittsburgh target caught five passes in South Bend loss last fall. Shanahan finished with 49 receptions, 539 yards and a touchdown for the run-heavy Panthers in 2010.
- Robert Woods – USC sophomore star caught 65 passes for 792 yards and 6 TD last fall, finishing with 9 receptions for 87 yards in a November loss to the Irish.
- Chris Givens – Led Wake Forest with 39 receptions, 514 yards, and 4 touchdowns last fall while adding to rushing scores.
- Bobby Swigert – Scored the Eagles only touchdown, a 58-yard out-and-up in Boston College's 31-13 home loss to Notre Dame last October. Finished with 504 yards and 4 touchdowns as a true freshman.
Floyd and the Irish faced five of the six squads highlighted above last season (Wake Forest the exception). He totaled 33 receptions, 361 yards, and 4 TD in those contests.