All Irish: Jonathan Bonner

In the 11th of its series, Notre Dame linebacker commit Jonathan Bonner of Chesterfield (Mo.) Parkway Central is broken down with a recruitment recap and player analysis.

Jonathan Bonner (Outside linebacker, 6'3.5", 250)

Location: Chesterfield (Mo.) Parkway Central

Rank: No. 79 defensive tackle, Four-star

Quick Hit:

Linebacker/weakside defensive end Jonathan Bonner first hit Notre Dame's radar when he participated in camp this summer. Bonner (he breaks it down in the quote below) first caught the attention of Bob Elliott and Bob Diaco in agility drills, and when he absolutely destroyed the top competition in one-on-one drills throughout the entire day, the Irish staff decided to pull the trigger and offer.

Prior to Notre Dame's offer, Bonner had offers from Indiana, Michigan State, Missouri and Purdue. Bonner committed to Notre Dame a couple days after camp, saying, "I knew I couldn't find a better school in the country, both football-wise and for the academic opportunities Notre Dame provides." The athlete admitted that he was not expecting an offer at camp, but just to "get on Notre Dame's radar."

Bonner is expected to play outside linebacker, though it is yet to be seen exactly how Brian VanGorder plans to utilize Bonner, but Diaco envisioned him as CAT ‘backer, rushing the passer 90 percent of snaps, and dropping back the other 10 percent.

Notable Quotable:

"Earlier on at the camp, the Notre Dame coaches noticed me in some agility drills, and they told me they would be keeping an eye on me the rest of the day. Coach (Bob) Elliott was the first one to speak to me, and then it was Coach (Bob) Diaco. They kept watching me and then we went to pass rush drills, and they said they were putting me against their top-five offensive lineman at the camp. When I went through the one-on-one's, I won every single pass-rushing rep. There was another camp session later in the day with more one-on-one's, and they wanted me to attend, so I did. They ran me through some extra drills and also timed me in the forty-yard dash. At that point, they told me I was probably winded and could sit out the rest of the day, but I went ahead and did more one-on-one drills."

"He's truly underrated. Very athletic guy who runs very well. He vertical jumped 36 inches at my combine and averaged 21. 7 yards per catch playing wide receiver at his size last year, and had seven touchdowns on only 12 catches. He has good size at 250 pounds and a great punch coming off the line. He runs downs plays from the backside and can get after the quarterback. He's a smart kid and very coachable." –'s J.P. Rock

Links of Note:

Bonner's Initial Commitment

More from Bonner on his commitment Analysis

Bonner's profile, highlight clips & all stories

Note: Look for an in-depth film breakdown and analysis of how Bonner will fit into Notre Dame's defense in a follow-up story.

Bonner is commit No. 11 broken down in the "All Irish" series. Click below to view the first ten in the series:

WR Justin Brent

DE Andrew Trumbetti

LB Greer Martini

DT Jay Hayes

OG Jimmy Byrne

QB DeShone Kizer

OG Sam Mustipher

TE Nic Weishar

OT Alex Bars

OT Quenton Nelson

Click here to discuss this story in our premium message boards. Top Stories