Nathan Meadors will be on the move once the recruiting dead period ends next week.
Right now the three-star safety from San Bernardino, Calif., has two visits set for January with another pending. Notre Dame is scheduled to play host Jan. 23 and UCLA will do so Jan. 30. Oregon is working to secure a visit for Jan. 16, although it’s not yet set in stone.
“I feel they’re pretty critical,” Meadors said. “That’s all I’m really basing my decision off of now. Once I go to Notre Dame and UCLA or Oregon I should be able to know what school I feel the most comfortable at and wanna go to.”
Meadors has already taken official visits to Boise State and Cal.
Notre Dame worked its way into the current group of five contenders with a late November scholarship offer. Since then outside linebackers coach and area recruiter Bob Elliott has been keeping up the communication.
Getting to South Bend will help Meadors match Elliott’s pitch to the safety’s own take on Notre Dame.
“I wanna experience what it’s like out there in the freezing cold and see if I like it out there at Notre Dame,” Meadors said. “I know the education is probably one of the top in the country. I can’t deny that.”
Elliott hopes to make up ground on UCLA, which Meadors has installed as his leader.
“The weather out here in California is nice,” Meadors said. “But me and coach (Demetrice) Martin get along well. I’ve built a great relationship with him. I feel him along with the Boise coaches, I’m closest to them than I am anybody else so far.”
Despite having the Bruins as his leader, Meadors plans to give the other contenders a full evaluation during the upcoming official visits. Assessing depth charts and the potential for making an early impact will be one of the most important factors moving forward.
Meadors has done some preliminary research but wants to talk more with coaches in person.
“My options are open,” he said. “I’m not close-minded about anything. But I feel playing time at a big school would be a key part to if I were to go anywhere else.”
Meadors hopes to have a decision made in short order after making the UCLA visit.
“I really wanna have it over with by at least a week before signing day,” Meadors said. “I don’t wanna wait that long and see where I wanna go. I might end up making it known to everybody the last day but personally I wanna know before that.”