On Monday, the defensive end received official notice from the University that he’d actually been re-admitted.
The school’s Committee on Readmission mailed Williams written notice, postmarked May 29, that the former five-star recruit was welcome back at the school following a two semester suspension. The letter was addressed to Williams’ home in Brooklyn, arriving after he’d already relocated to South Bend.
Russell also returned to Notre Dame last weekend, per his post on Instagram. Notre Dame’s upperclassmen football players are back on campus for a two-week bridge program, with the second session of summer school set to start on June 15.
The investigation ended the Irish careers of Daniels and Moore, with Hardy transferring to Bowling Green for his fifth-year of eligibility.
How Williams fits into Notre Dame’s scholarship math remains in question, including if the senior will be an eligible scholarship player on the football team. As the roster stands, Notre Dame is set to open fall camp with 88 players on scholarship, three over the NCAA limit.
Williams made the drive back to Notre Dame this weekend without the assurance of readmission or a scholarship. He’s 27 credits short of his degree, according to his father, Shaun Williams, who told Irish Illustrated last week that if his son’s senior season never occurs that the former five-star recruit is adamant about graduating.
“He is prepared to do what he can to help them place in and win a national championship, up to practicing and being on the scout team,” Shaun Williams said. “All those things, it’s whatever is made available to him.
“I don’t know (about the scholarship). I wish I could speak intelligently on it. But I think we’re all prepared to make sure that he gets his degree and if the scholarship falls into place, if a grant-in-aid package falls into place, if we’ve got to put money together and pay the tuition bill ourselves, we want to get him that degree.”