Notre Dame’s safety competition added some clarity on Wednesday.
Sophomore Mykelti Williams missed the morning practice and afterward head coach Brian Kelly revealed that the product of Warren Central in Indianapolis was no longer part of the program. Williams, a late addition to his recruiting class two years ago, had yet to play a snap for Notre Dame after taking a red-shirt last season.
Williams was still part of the program last week when the Irish opened spring ball.
Kelly declined to reveal any specifics of Williams’ departure.
Down Williams, Notre Dame’s safety pairings on Wednesday opened with Max Redfield-Drue Tranquill, Nicco Fertitta-Avery Sebastian and Devin Studstill-Spencer Perry in that order during the first portion of practice.
However, Kelly said Studstill has been running with the first team much of the past week at free safety, meaning he’s in direct competition with Redfield for a starting job.
Unlike Redfield, who often frustrated with the coaching staff the past three years, Studstill appears to have won over the coaches immediately.
“He’s just a natural player. It comes easy to him,” Kelly said. “Just flows easily to him. It’s not hard to him. He’s had no set back in terms of the learning curve. He had one mistake today, but it really comes easy to him.”null