OG-TIM GRUNHARD (1986-89)
• Ht./Wt.: 6-2, 315
• Hometown: Chicago, Ill.
• High School: St. Laurence
• Head Coach: Lou Holtz
• Position Coaches: Tony Yelovich, Joe Moore
• Position Contemporaries: Jeff Pearson, Tom Freeman, Dean Brown, Tim Ryan, Mirko Jurkovic
• Career Stats: Four starts at right guard behind Jeff Pearson during his sophomore season (1987); started all 25 games as a junior/senior (1988-89) at tight (strongside) guard when the Irish compiled a 24-1 record, including a 12-0 mark and national title in ’88.
ND Football Accomplishments
• Helped lead an Irish ground game that averaged 258.0 yards rushing in ’88 (11th nationally).
• Helped pave the way for a ground game that averaged 287.7 yards rushing per game (8th nationally) during his senior season in ‘89.
Quotable Holtz on Grunhard
“Tim is a throwback to a day when helmets could be folded up and stuck in your back pocket. He’d love football even if he didn’t have a facemask.”
• Drafted in the second round (40th overall) by the Kansas City Chiefs in 1990. A member of the Chiefs from 1990-2000.
• Started 127 of 128 regular-season games over his last eight years in Kansas City. Added another 10 games (nine starts) in the playoffs. Played a total of 169 games (164 starts, third most in franchise history).
• A 1999 Pro Bowl selection.
“I am what I am. I’m a blue-collar guy who likes blue-collar people, and the people of Kansas City seem to appreciate that.”
• Hosted sports radio show at KCSP in Kansas City from 2003-07.
• Named head coach at Bishop Miege High School (Shawnee, Kansas) in 2006. After a 3-6 debut season, the Stags won five straight district titles and the 4A state championship in 2009.
• Served as Charlie Weis’ offensive line coach with the Kansas Jayhawks (2012-13).
• Played an instrumental role in pushing for the development of Kansas Speedway, where the NASCAR Sprint Cup series races this weekend.
• Returned to Bishop Miege in 2014 as offensive line coach where he has instructed sons Colin and C.J.