Local safety ready for Invasion spotlight

Cedric Mitchell has been targeting Irish Invasion as the highlight of his summer camp schedule. Come Saturday the local safety wants to take advantage of competing against prospects from all over the country.

Prospects local to Notre Dame don’t often get a national stage to impress.

Cedric Mitchell, a three-star safety from nearby Elkhart, Ind., will dive into just that Saturday at Irish Invasion. Mitchell visited for spring practice a couple months back, scoring an invitation to the camp as a result. Mitchell wants to turn heads against competition from all over the country.

“They know about my speed,” Mitchell said. “I think my footwork and skill has gotten way better. I’ve been working on that for about a month with one of the coaches we have. My skill has gotten a lot better, my footwork.”

Mitchell has already reeled in offers from Ball State, Bowling Green, Buffalo, Cincinnati, Eastern Michigan, Iowa State, Miami (Ohio), Ohio, Temple, Toledo and Western Michigan.

Now the 6-foot-2, 175-pound prospect is looking to impress some regional powers. Irish Invasion is probably just the beginning of his camp schedule. Mitchell views it as maybe the best opportunity June will have in store.

“It’s really exciting,” he said. “The fact they think I could compete against these guys from all other areas, especially the big areas that are known for breeding crazy athletes, is really exciting. I get to go against these guys and put our area on the map.”

After Irish Invasion, Mitchell will start laying out other camp visits. Indiana, Purdue, Michigan State and perhaps even Penn State are potential stops on the tour.

In-state programs Indiana and Purdue could be close to pulling the trigger on a scholarship offer. Mitchell feels the same way about Penn State, but isn’t sure if he’ll get a chance to impress the Nittany Lions staff in person.

Either way, that group of programs wants to see Mitchell up close. And that's a positive development.

“It’s pretty much camps,” Mitchell said. “They want me to get to camps and get out there and compete. I’m trying to work my schedule. I’m gonna try to get to as many as I can. I’ve been letting coaches know about some of my obstacles.”

Mitchell plans to get into July and assess his options, especially if some new offers come through over the next few weeks. Then it will be time decide the next move.

“I’m just gonna decide through all that,” Mitchell said. “Obviously, this month is really hectic with all the camps and everything. We’ll see how this goes. If they don’t end up offering or anything I’ll start cutting down from the 11 I have now and decide either before my senior season or go with my senior season. I’ll see how I feel about that.”


IrishIllustrated.com Top Stories