Earlier this week, Irish Illustrated’s Pete Sampson offered Notre Dame’s latest offensive and defensive master lists. On those two lists, there were five prospects with the arrow pointing up toward Notre Dame.
Here’s a quick film review of each with recruiting analyst Kevin Sinclair’s take on Notre Dame’s chances.
• Position: WR
• Scout Ranking: 4-star – No. 262/No. 49 WR
• Ht./Wt.: 6-3, 190
• High School: North Broward Prep
• Hometown: Coconut Creek, Fla.
• Film Review: Incredibly underrated at No. 262 overall. Long-striding stallion looks like an 800-meter Olympic runner when he’s in full stride. Light on his feet, virtually running on his toes. High points 50-50 balls, landing balanced and ready to break back into full stride. Incredibly elusive in the open field, continuously finding daylight within the same run. Willingly uses a potent stiff arm to keep play alive. A flat-out man among boys on the high school football field. Five-star qualities.
• Sinclair On Recruitment: “Kevin Austin Sr. grew up in Michigan and raised his family on the Spartans, who are Notre Dame's main competition. Miami is the other team the Austin family roots for and could also be a factor. At the end of the day, Notre Dame has the academics Austin is looking for and he's bonded well with the
current commits. The Irish lead.”
• Position: TE
• Scout Ranking: 4-star – NR/No. 14 TE
• Ht./Wt.: 6-7, 236
• High School: Gulf Coast
• Hometown: Naples, Fla.
• Film Review: An extremely aggressive blocker. Very quick feet for such a long player. Really keeps his feet active through the block. Will widen his base and drop his pad level. Looks for multiple blocks on same play. Can be stood up when he doesn’t widen his blocking base, causing him to lose leverage. More of a stop-route tight end in a controlled passing game. A short-stepper, which helps him as a blocker but limits his downfield capability. Needs to get stronger to fill out that long body.
• Sinclair On Recruitment: “The Irish want one tight end and they want it to be Takacs. Wisconsin and Florida are the competition, but Notre Dame seems to be ahead of the pack.”
• Position: NT
• Scout Ranking: 3-star – NR/No. 42 DT
• Ht./Wt.: 6-1½, 310
• High School: North Caroline
• Hometown: Ridgely, Md.
• Film Review: A bull. A wrecking ball. The kind of interior defensive lineman who should require a double-team. Plays full-speed. Strong. Not just a physical player, but someone who can crease gaps and even weave his way through traffic. A nose tackle with three-technique skills. A bit on the short side, but is so strong and plays with such good leverage that his shortcomings are mitigated. This is a four-star player.
• Sinclair On Recruitment: “Franklin is being treated as a priority by Notre Dame. The Irish got on him early. Clemson is the only school that looks to be a threat, and they haven't offered.”
• Position: OLB
• Scout Ranking: 4-star -- No. 119/No. 9 OLB
• Ht./Wt.: 6-4, 220
• High School: Great Oaks
• Hometown: Temecula, Calif.
• Film Review: Long, rangy, athletic linebacker with the versatility to play inside or outside. Edge-setting big man or slicing through A/B gaps. Prototypical standup edge presence normally found at Stanford. Gallops all over the field and finds ways to make plays. Uses hands well and has an explosive gear after getting off block. Shows pass-coverage ability with easy hip turn and long strides to the receiver/ball. Tends to be a twister instead of a tackler at times, but that’s a byproduct of his reach.
• Sinclair On Recruitment: “Lamb has always wanted an offer from Notre Dame and he got one, right after enjoying visits to Stanford (one of his dream schools, but no offer), Oregon, Washington, Cal and Penn State (his parents are grads). Still, he doesn't have a top group and he'll visit South Bend in June.”
• Position: OLB
• Scout Ranking: 4-star – No. 149/No. 17 S
• Ht./Wt.: 6-3, 210
• High School: St. Peter’s Prep
• Hometown: Jersey City, N.J.
• Film Review: Aggressive, physical player listed by some as a safety, but an outside linebacker prospect on the next level. Athletic enough to play an effective wide receiver, but excels lowering the boom on ball carriers. Shows good hip/lower body strength. Really gets into the feet of a runner. Outstanding burst/straight-ahead speed when pursuing the football. Also quick off the edge. Top-notch closing speed. Plays with a fire. Is sometimes too deliberate coming out of breakdown position, but once he gets moving forward, he’s an explosive tackler.
• Sinclair On Recruitment: “Simon maintains that Notre Dame, Penn State, Ohio State, Stanford and Michigan all are being considered. Still, many believe this is a Michigan-Notre Dame battle. Both are pushing hard and the connections are hard to