Hiben Receives Irish Offer

Waconia, Minn. tight end Joey Hiben added another offer to his long list of schools hoping to land his services. Notre Dame recently offered the 6-4, 230-pound tight end prospect. We spoke with Hiben to get his reaction to his Irish offer.

Tight end Joey Hiben recently received an e-mail he'd been hoping to receive the entire summer.

"I received an e-mail from coach Mattison telling me to call him and that it was good news," Hiben said of finding out he had been offered by Notre Dame. "I got really excited about it because I'd been waiting for it."

"I talked to coach Mattison for a while and he's such a great guy. He then put me on the phone with coach Willingham and he told me that they were offering me a scholarship. I was pretty excited."

"It made me feel really good," Hiben said of the Irish offer. "I'm not sure what I'm going to do yet. I might take a little time before I decide."

"I'm thinking I'll probably decide by the end of September. I want to focus on my football season so I'll probably try to make a decision sometime soon."

We asked Hiben what was holding up his decision at this point as he's taken unofficial visits to his favorite schools already.

"I guess I'm just not ready yet," Hiben said. "I like all my choices. I want to take some time and look at the good and the bad, although I can't find much bad about my choices. They are all great schools."

Now that the Irish have offered, we asked Hiben where that put Notre Dame on his list.

"They're still at the top, but I'm not just going to jump on a Notre Dame offer. Now that I have the offer, I can really consider them as a choice. They are definitely in my top three. They told me that I can't wait too long and kind of gave me a timeframe."

With the Irish making his top three, we asked Hiben if he could tell us the other two schools in his top three.

"It's pretty much Notre Dame, Stanford and Purdue," Hiben said. "Minnesota is still in there."

It appeared that Notre Dame was at the very top of Hiben's list earlier this summer. We asked if the Irish might've slipped because he had to wait longer for the Irish to offer.

"I was a little disappointed," said Hiben. "I felt like they didn't think too highly of me. I went to their camp and I was really happy with how I did at their camp. I guess I was right because now I have the offer to prove it. Now I know they believe in me."

Comments: Hiben has always been high on Notre Dame and said he'd wait patiently for the Irish to offer. Now that they have, we expect Notre Dame to be tough to beat. However, we don't think this is a slam dunk that it probably could've been had the Irish offered earlier. We'll keep in touch with Joey and see if he might make a decision fairly soon.

IrishIllustrated.com Top Stories