Hiben Nearing Decision

Tight end Joey Hiben is getting ready for his senior season and might be changing positions for his final season. The 6-4, 235-pound Waconia, Minn. native is also trying to decide between his top three schools at the present moment. When might Hiben make his decision?

Joey Hiben is excited for his senior season to begin.

"We had a scrimmage yesterday," Hiben said. "That went really well. We start on Friday. I'm really pumped up about that. I'm excited to get my season started."

The Minnesota native said he could be seeing the ball a lot more this season due to a position change.

"I went to my coaches and told them that I need to carry the rock," Hiben said. "I ran the fastest 40 time on my team so they wanted to put me in a position where I can make the most impact on the team. I'd been telling them they needed to let me carry the rock for a while, but they're finally giving me the chance and that has been going well."

So what did he run in the 40 to change his coach's opinion on him carrying the football?

"I ran a 4.5, but that was hand-held. Still, not too bad for a guy who is 235 pounds," Hiben said.

"I'll probably play some at tight end, but I'll get some carries at tailback. I'm also playing defensive end and I'll be punting, too."

With the season nearing, Hiben had previously told us he'd like to have his decision made by the start of the season. The decision might have to wait a bit according to Hiben.

"I'm hoping to have it in the next couple of weeks," Hiben said. "I hope to know what I'm doing pretty soon. I'd like to get it done."

The Waconia, Minn. native says he's mulling a decision between his top three at this point.

"It's between Purdue, Notre Dame and Stanford," Hiben said. "They are dead even right now. I've just been writing down the good and bad things about each school. I've talked it over with my family quite bit, but it's really close between there three. In all honesty, it's dead even at this point.

"I can't really go wrong with any of the schools I'm looking at, and that is what makes the decision hard. I'm just waiting for when I get fixed on one school. I'll keep talking it over with my family. I hope to have a decision soon."

We asked Hiben if he might take some official visits before deciding to clear things up for him.

"I've thought about that," Hiben said. "I'd like to go to a game, but I might have a decision made before any of that starts."

Comments: It's appears the race is pretty tight at this point for Hiben. We really couldn't handicap this race at this point, we believe it's pretty close. We do believe it will become clearer in the future, however. He had been waiting on the Irish offer for a while. With the offer issued, will Hiben accept? We'll be keeping in touch with Hiben to find out.

IrishIllustrated.com Top Stories