Hiben Likely to Take Visits

Waconia, Minn. tight end Joey Hiben has narrowed his list to three and has been trying to make his final decision. The 6-4, 230-pound Hiben now says he'll likely take his official visits before deciding. Where do the Irish stand with Hiben?

Tight end Joey Hiben says he can't seem to come to a conclusion on where he'd like to play football in college.

"I was hoping to have my decision made by now," said Hiben. "I really haven't gotten anywhere with my decision. I keep going back and forth and I can't seem to come to a final decision."

The talented tight end/defensive end candidate says he's down to three schools and he'll likely have to take some official visits to make his final decision.

"I'm still down to Stanford, Purdue and Notre Dame," Hiben said. "I've been thinking about taking some official visits. I've been talking to the schools about setting up some official visits. I'd like to make my decision sooner, but I just can't seem to do that."

The Irish have talked to Hiben about taking his official visit for their banquet weekend.

"They've been talking about December 3rd for a visit," said Hiben of Notre Dame. "I haven't officially set that yet, but that is what they're are saying.

"Stanford is saying sometime in January and I'm not sure I want to wait that long. Purdue has talked about some dates but I can't remember them. I've talked to all three schools about setting up a visit."

The Minnesota native says he's been keeping in contact with the Irish coaching staff.

"I've talked to coach Willingham two or three times in the last month. I talk to coach Mattison all the time. I've also talked to coach Denbrock, who is their tight ends coach. I get along with them really well."

We asked Hiben if he plans on taking visits to all three of his favorites or if he might commit if he feels confortable at a school while on his visit.

"I defintely could commit on a visit," he said. "I just know that one day I'll get that feeling where I'm totally comfortable with a school and I can commit. I want to give all three schools a fair shot, but I might just get that feeling."

Hiben said he should have his official visits set up very soon.

"I hope to have them all set up by next week, we'll see," Hiben said. "I'm hoping to make my decision before January."

Comments: Hiben seems really torn at this point. He says his favorite will change daily and sometimes more than once during the day. We think he'll likely take a few visits before deciding.

IrishIllustrated.com Top Stories