"I'd say I was more shocked than disappointed," said Hord about the announcement that Tyrone Willingham had been fired as Notre Dame's head football coach. "I didn't think they'd just fire him like that."
The announcement hasn't changed Hord's opinion of Notre Dame.
"I'm still interested in Notre Dame," he said. "I'm just going to have to wait and see what happens. There's going to be a new coach and I really don't know much about it."
We asked Hord if he had any preferences as to who they Irish would name as head coach.
"I've heard a lot of the names that are out there," Hord said. "The Utah coach--Urban Meyer, Butch Davis. I really don't know that much about them. I haven't really watched a Utah game to know if that's a good offense for me. I've heard it is. I really can't say what to expect."
Many players have said to Irish Eyes that they can't formulate an opinion on something they don't know about. These top prospects have said they can't say how they'd feel about a coach or coaching staff they know nothing about.
"Yeah, that's it," said Hord when told what others have said to us. "I can't really say because I really don't know who the coach will be. I'll just have to wait and see."
Hord has made some changes to his visit schedule.
"I've changed and I have a visit set for K-State on December 10th," said Hord. "I have a visit to LSU in late January. I think it's the 27th or something like that."
Hord had mentioned to us that he wanted to make an early decision before. Is that still the case?
"I'd have to say no because I don't know what's going to happen with Notre Dame," he said. "I was planning on taking my other visits anyway so I probably won't make an early decision."
I also asked Hord if he planned to still visit Notre Dame if he liked the new Notre Dame coach.
"Yeah, I still plan to visit," said Hord. "I still like Notre Dame. We'll just have to wait and see what happens."
Comments: Notre Dame has been high on Hord's list for a while. D.J. admitted it was disappointing to hear the news as he was looking forward to his visit this weekend. We also think he'll likely wait to talk to the new Notre Dame coaching staff before making his final decision.