Is Trump Still Considering Irish?

Clearwater, Fla. offensive lineman A.J. Trump had the Irish clearly out in front before the release of Tyrone Willingham. The 6-4, 290-pound guard prospect was also looking at at number of other schools. Where do the Irish stand with Trump after the naming of new head coach Charlie Weis? Has Trump spoken with Weis?

Offensive lineman A.J. Trump visited Miami last weekend and the Hurricanes made quite an impression on this top prospect.

"I had a great visit to Miami," said Trump. "It was awesome. I really liked the staff and the players were awesome. It just really felt comfortable to me."

Trump says he might be close to making his decision after such an impressive visit.

"I'm pretty close to committing to Miami,' he said. "I just need to think about it some more. I'm going to think hard on that."

Trump also had a busy day yesterday with two schools trying to overcome the Miami lead.

"I talked to coach Weis last night and I had Urban Meyer in 20 minutes later. I've been busy," said Trump with a big laugh.

We asked Trump what he and coach Weis talked about.

"He said he was really interested in me and really wanted me," Trump said. "We talked a lot about what he plans to do at Notre Dame. We didn't have a lot to talk about because he said he didn't have his staff in place yet, but he said he'd get back with me by Thursday.

"I told him I was close to making my decision and he said he understood that, and said he'd get back to as soon as possible."

At this point Trump said he's going to do one of two things.

"I'm going to sit down and think long and hard tonight about if I want to commit to Miami," he said. "It really seems like a great fit for me. My family will be close and come see all my games. I'm just going to think about it hard tonight.

"It's going to come down to if I want to commit to Miami, or if I want to open it back up again and look at Notre Dame and Florida. If I open it back up again, I'll look at both schools."

We asked Trump if he was planning on having an in-home visit with Notre Dame before deciding.

"I don't think so. I plan to think about this tonight," Trump said. "I plan to decide if I want to commit to Miami tonight or open it back up. If I commit to Miami I'll be done with the whole process."

Comments: Miami is way out in front, and it sounds like Trump is ready to pull the trigger on the Hurricanes. Will the Irish still try to get back in? We bet they do just that. Top Stories