Ryan Nearing Decision

Cleveland, Ohio defensive end John Ryan plans to have a busy weekend. The 6-5, 230-pound Cleveland St. Ignatius star plans to visit a couple of schools over the weekend and then see if he can make a decision as to where he'll play football and attend college. We spoke with Ryan on Monday to get his thoughts on the weekend and his two top teams.

The end of the line is in sight for defensive end prospect John Ryan. Ryan plans to visit both of his favorites over the weekend, and he says hopefully those visits will help him decide which school to attend.

"I'm going to BC (Boston College) on Thursday and Friday, and then I'm going to Notre Dame's spring game," said Ryan. "I sat down with Mr. Kyle (St. Ignatius head coach) and we decided that these two are really the two schools I'm interested in.

"Mr. Kyle and I talked about this weekend, and he told me that I shouldn't go into this weekend thinking I have to make a decision. He told me to come home, talk it over with my family, come in Monday and talk to him and see if I'm ready to make my decision. I think that is what I'm going to do. If I'm ready to commit, I'll do that."

The Irish and the Eagles will battle it out this weekend with both schools trying to get the leg up with their opportunity to visit with Ryan and his family.

"It would be harder for me to turn down an opportunity to play at Notre Dame than it would be at Boston College, but BC was the first to show interest in me," Ryan explained. "I went to their camp last year and I really enjoyed the coaches there. I really like both schools right now."

Ryan admitted he didn't know the Notre Dame coaches as well as he does the Boston College coaches, and he's hoping to get the chance to get to know the Irish coaches better with his visit on Saturday.

"I talked to them while I was there, but it was junior day so there were a lot of people there," Ryan said. "I'm hoping to get a chance to talk to them more when I'm there.

"I'll also get to see how they react with their players. I've seen how they act with high school players, but I want to see how they interact with their own personnel."

When should we expect a decision from Ryan?

"I don't know," he said. "If I know after this weekend, it will probably be sometime next week. If I'm not sure, I'll take awhile to think about it. I hope to have this finished by the middle of May."

Comments: This appears to be another battle for the Irish. Boston College is very much in the race. I also think they have the advantage in that they get to spend two days with Ryan and his family while the Irish coaches won't get near that much time. However, he's a life-long Irish fan and has mentioned a few times that Notre Dame would be hard to turn down.

IrishIllustrated.com Top Stories