Brown Hoping for Irish Offer

When the Irish coaching staff goes into the Chicago area, they make Irish fans very happy knowing that the staff realizes that they must dominate it's backyard in recruiting. Sergio Brown (Maywood, Ill.),'s No. 8-ranked safety prospect is just one of several Chicago products that the Irish coaching staff is heavily pursuing.

Notre Dame's summer football camp provides an opportunity for players to workout in front of the Irish coaching staff. The hope is that the prospect will walk away from the camp a better player, but for some of the top prospects, their hope is that they will have impressed the Irish coaches enough to leave the South Bend campus with a scholarship offer.

"I didn't camp at Notre Dame, I just looked around and talked to a couple coaches. I hurt my ankle just before camp so I didn't workout," Sergio Brown responded when asked if he participated in the Irish football camp.

"I took a small tour of the campus, basically the athletic facilities," Brown explained. "It was real nice; the weight room, they have a little speed area. They were still doing some work on them, but they are almost done.

"I learned a little about their program and their coaching staff - I like their coaches," Brown continued. "I talked to coach Lewis, the defensive back coach, and coach Weis talked to me a little bit. I also talked to Ianello."

While Sergio Brown doesn't have an offer, the Notre Dame staff may be close to pulling the trigger.

"They said I was still going through admissions. They already have my transcript and my test scores," he said.

"I haven't talked to them since camp, but I'm supposed to talk to Ianello his week," he added.

Notre Dame didn't hand out very many scholarships after their camp, so does the lack of a scholarship hurt their chances with Sergio?

"Notre Dame is in my top five right now," Brown responded. "The others are Illinois (offer), Nebraska (offer), UCLA (offer), and Iowa (offer).

Comments: The Notre Dame coaches like Brown quite a bit, but they are holding off on offering him. It appears that he has a great deal of interest in the Irish and may likely hold off on a college decision until he finds out what his status is with Notre Dame. Top Stories