Allen is in Evaluation Mode

Armando Allen has one more trip remaining before he's ready to make his college decision. The running back from Hialeah-Miami Lakes high school (Hialeah, Fla.) just returned from Gainesville where the Gators made a strong impression.

Armando Allen (5-foot-10, 195 pounds) is one of the most dynamic running backs in the country. Notre Dame would like to have him in South Bend in the coming years, but the Florida Gators have made a strong impression on him during his official visit for the South Carolina game.

"I had a pretty good visit, Armando said of his trip to Florida. "It was a good atmosphere. Everything worked out fine. It was pretty nice. The players were just a good group of guys. They all got along with the coaches. They were like a family."

Armando will take another official visit, and once he returns he will likely be ready to decide.

"Right now I'm in evaluation mode,." Allen said. "I don't have one team in front of the other and I haven't decided where I want to go to school.

"I'm taking a visit to Duke this weekend to see my friend (Thaddeus Lewis) who plays up there. Then I'll sit down and decide. Me and DeMarcus Van Dyke are going to announce together December 1.

Allen will likely choose between the Gators and the Irish. Each school has a lot to offer, and Allen named the aspect of each school that stood out most to him.

"The top thing Florida has going for it would be location," Allen explained. "Location relative to home and being in the South.

"The top thing Notre Dame has going for it is the education… no doubt about it."

Notre Dame also has a hurdle to overcome. Allen would like to enroll in January. Florida has given him permission to do so, but Notre Dame needs Allen to complete an additional class before being admitted.

"Notre Dame laid it all out for me when I was on my visit," Allen explained. "If Notre Dame turns out to be my No.1 choice then I'll just [enroll] when everyone else does. I'd like to enroll early because of my injury, getting started on rehabbing, and going through a spring, but if my decision is Notre Dame I'll just wait, there's no doubt about that and I don't have a problem with that." Top Stories