Wild week ahead for Irish

<P>The Irish coaches will be waiting like kids at Christmas this week. One last sales pitch-or twenty-will be made and then they play the waiting game. Many of the top prospects will be making their decisions this week and everyone is hoping for a good week of news. </P>

I can't remember a more significant week of recruiting in my 7 years of covering Notre Dame. So many of the top prospects should be making their decision and Irish fans are not very patient. This week could be a roller coaster of emotions from the very excited to the very disappointed. Irish fans are hoping for ups than downs on this ride.

Victor Abiamiri and Ambrose Wooden should decide this week. I have felt for quite a while that Wooden will choose Notre Dame. I really could not guess at this point on Abiamiri. I know many of the Maryland faithful think he will be a Terp. There hasn't been a lot of positive word lately that he will choose Notre Dame on my end. I do know many think he is still debating this decision but his Mom has told me on two separate occasions that he has already made his decision. Wooden is likely to choose Notre Dame I believe but if I had to guess right now, I would say Abiamiri chooses Maryland. That is subject to change at any moment. I think everyone predicting in this race is going off of very little solid information including me.

Ira Guilford will choose between Ohio State and Notre Dame on Wednesday. I do not feel good about this situation at all. I think he will choose Ohio State as they were leading when I spoke to him on Thursday.

Chase Anastasio could also be deciding this week. He has Coach Beemer coming in this week and he said he would sit down with coaches from both Virginia and Notre Dame before deciding. A decision should be coming soon.

Emmanuel Awofadeju just returned for a visit to Notre Dame. Stanford had been leading before this visit. Willingham visited Awofadeju late last week before he visited Notre Dame. Awofadeju told me he hoped to decide shortly after his Notre Dame visit.

LaBrose Hedgemon should decide sometime this week as well. He has de-committed from North Carolina now and should decide very soon. He has said he had a great visit to Notre Dame. Can the Irish land another corner prospect?

Mike Jones hasn't been taking phone calls lately but Mike told me he would decide shortly after his visit to Penn State this last weekend. I know Coach Mattison is supposed to be visiting him this week and I am sure every other team he is considering will try to visit him this week. I don't think Mike has eliminated anyone at this point. His decision could come this week as well.

The Irish did have punter Geoff Price in this weekend. Price was committed to Texas but decided to visit Notre Dame this weekend anyway. I can't imagine Price would put his scholarship in jeopardy if he didn't know Notre Dame would offer him. He has stated he has been a Notre Dame fan all his life so I expect him to announce for the Irish shortly.

Irish fans are waiting word from Mark Bradford. Bradford is said to be down to Notre Dame, LSU and Stanford. He should make a decision sometime this week as well. I think this race is too close to call.

Mitchell Thomas could also decide this week. Thomas was scheduled to visit Georgia last weekend and told me he would make a decision shortly after that visit. Willingham visited him last week and he and his family were very impressed. Many think Alabama is the team to beat for Thomas.

This is a big week for the Irish coaching staff. They will get their last chance to try to convince these remaining prospects to come to Notre Dame. As many as 10 kids could be deciding this week so hang on to your hats because this could be quite a ride.

IrishIllustrated.com Top Stories