ND Week in Review: The Irish dropped consecutive road games last week, first at No. 3 Villanova, then at lowly Rutgers on Saturday. For reviews of both, click the links below:
Conference MatchupsCollege basketball's latest rankings will be available Monday afternoon. Expect Villanova and Syracuse to move up into the No. 2 and No. 3 spots respectively, and for West Virginia to move up as high as No. 6. Georgetown, victorious over No. 7 Duke on Saturday after a humbling loss at Syracuse earlier in the week, should remain in the Top 10.
Pittsburgh will fall into the low 20s or possibly out of the national polls with three losses in its last four games, including a surprising defeat at South Florida Sunday night. After consecutive losses at Providence and at Marquette, the Connecticut Huskies should finally drop from the Top 25
- Monday February 1: No. 19 Connecticut at Louisville
- Tuesday February 1: Seton Hall at No. 3 Villanova
- Tuesday, February 2: Providence at No. 4 Syracuse
- Tuesday, February 2: St. John's at Rutgers
- Wednesday, February 3: No. 17 Pittsburgh at No. 9 West Virginia
- Wednesday, February 3: South Florida at No. 11 Georgetown
- Wednesday, February 3: DePaul at Marquette
- Thursday, February 4: Cincinnati at Notre Dame
- Saturday, February 6: No. 3 Villanova at No. 11 Georgetown
- Saturday, February 6: No. 9 West Virginia at St. John's
- Saturday, February 6: Seton Hall at No. 17 Pittsburgh
- Saturday, February 6: DePaul at No. 19 Connecticut
- Saturday, February 6: Marquette at Providence
- Sunday, February 7: No. 4 Syracuse at Cincinnati
- Sunday, February 7: South Florida at Notre Dame
Relevant Game to Monitor for Irish fans: Does National Signing Day count? – Notre Dame must win its next four contests (Cincinnati, South Florida, at Seton Hall, St. John's) and then take at least two of the final five (at Louisville, at Georgetown, Pittsburgh, UConn, at Marquette) to re-enter the NCAA Tourney conversation.
Game of the Week: Wednesday: No. 17 Pittsburgh at No. 9 West Virginia in the Backyard Brawl…hoops version.
Team on the Brink: Connecticut (13-8, 3-5) – With a win nearly guaranteed Saturday vs. DePaul, UConn needs to steal a win in Freedom Hall tonight to move back to the right side of the NCAA Tournament Bubble. The Huskies have at least six difficult matchups remaining in their following eight contests.
Last week's "Team on the Brink" was Notre Dame. Following a loss at No. 3 Villanova, Mike Brey's squad absorbed a huge blow with a worst-case scenario loss at previously 0-8 Rutgers. Consider the Irish on the brink for the next three weeks.
Upset Alert: Cincinnati – The Bearcats will be underdogs in both of their games this week...look for them to steal one, either at Notre Dame or vs. No. 4 Syracuse at home on Saturday.
Current Big East Standings (as of February 1)
- Villanova: 8-0 (19-1)
- Syracuse: 8-1 (21-1)
- West Virginia: 6-2 (17-3)
- Georgetown 6-3 (16-4)
- Pittsburgh: 6-3 (16-5)
- Cincinnati: 5-4 (14-7)
- Louisville: 4-4 (13-8)
- Notre Dame: 4-5 (15-7)
- South Florida: 4-5 (14-7)
- Marquette: 4-5 (13-8)
- Providence: 4-5 (12-9)
- Seton Hall: 3-5 (12-7)
- Connecticut: 3-5 (13-8)
- St. John's: 2-6 (12-8)
- Rutgers: 1-8 (10-11)
- DePaul: 1-8 (8-13)