Flavin Close to Narrowing Things Down

Patrick Flavin already has an impressive list of suitors, but he's still looking for the Irish to extend an offer. The standout lineman from the Benet Academy (Lisle, Ill.) made an appearance at Notre Dame's June 19, football camp hoping to impress the coaches enough to land that offer.

Notre Dame held a one-day camp on June 19, so Patrick Flavin (6-foot-7, 260-pounds) wanted to take the opportunity to make his case to Notre Dame coaching staff one more time.

"I thought camp went well," Flavin said. "I felt that I worked well in the positional drills and I enjoyed working with coach Warinner. I thought he offered he offered some good insight. There wasn't as much as one-on-one as I thought there would be, there was only about 10 minutes of one-on-ones. The toughest guy I went up against was Chase Hounshell. He beat me on a couple, and we tied on a couple. He was pretty good, and I enjoyed going up against him. Overall I did pretty good."

Unfortunately for Flavin the Irish already have two offensive tackle commitments in the 2011 recruiting class. Notre Dame would like to add one more, but they are waiting to get a better indication from a couple other prospects before that make a move with Patrick.

"I talked to coach Martin on Saturday night," Flavin explained. "He was saying that they aren't going to be offering anybody in terms of offensive linemen until the end of the summer. He said that they're waiting on four guys that they have in front of me that they've offered. It sounds like it's the same thing with the waiting game.

"A lot of the schools that I'm interested in are starting to fill up. I'm just waiting as long as I can with Notre Dame and I hope they come through. I hope they come through. Coach Martin said that I'm still high on their board, but they're just waiting on some guys. I think I have to just be patient and see what happens."

Although Flavin will keep the Irish in the mix, he's moving forward with the recruiting process.

"I'm getting close to narrowing things down," he said. "I still want to take a few more visits, I know the schools that I'm interested in. I still want to go out and check out Cal and Boston College. I feel that they'll be in my top group of schools, but I still want to go see for myself.

"Notre Dame and Miami are really the only two schools that I'm waiting on, Nebraska as well. I'm hoping to see some places. I'm still evaluating, and I hope to cut things down pretty soon.

"I was thinking it would be ideal to have a top group sometime in July, and then hopefully commit by the start of my school year," Flavin said. "I'm definitely going to have a top-six pretty soon, but I guess I'm unsure about when I'll make my decision. I don't know if I'll take all five of my official visits, but I'll definitely take a few. I don't plan on dragging it out until November or December, at the latest I'd like to have my decision made by October."

IrishIllustrated.com Top Stories