- Kapron Lewis-Moore with the first sack of the Irish season to begin the second half. KLM showed a good use of hands to beat LT Dennis Kelly.
- Armando Allen's 38-yard punt return was the longest of his Irish career
- Excellent route by T.J. Jones for the first touchdown of his Irish career, a sharp 5-yard square-in from the left side.
- Bennett Jackson registered his third tackle in four opportunities after the Irish took a 20-3 lead early in the period.
- Ethan Johnson fought off a hold to registered his first sack of the season, dropping Marve for a loss of four yards. On the ensuing play, seniors Kerry Neal and Ian Williams combined for a 12-yard sack of Marve, forcing a fumble recovered by Lewis-Moore for a short touchdown. The replay official correctly overturned the score and the Boilers punted from deep in their own end, trailing 20-3.
- Steve Filer and Brian Smith recorded back-to-back stops in space when the Boilers stressed the Irish defense inside the 15-yard line at the end of the period, but Te'o missed his fourth tackle of the contest, allowing Dan Dierking a cut-back inside for an 8-yard gain, setting up 4th and 1 from the Irish 5-yard line.
The Irish offense continued its sporadic play in the red zone, scoring just one touchdown in three trips through three quarters, totaling 10 points and a lost fumble.
The Irish offense possessed the football for just 16:52 through three quarters.