Though he said there was little to report after just one day, many of the offseason's hot topics were discussed by the head coach. Meyer spoke about Braxton Miller in his first official day at wide receiver, the quarterback battle after one day and his general expectations for a team during fall camp.
- Miller is "full time" at wide receiver now, Meyer said. The quarterback has the right skills and demeanor to play the position, the coach said, it just comes down to learning the ins and outs of a new position.
"Braxton had a pretty good day, he played the entire practice at wide receiver," Meyer said.
- Meyer was unsure who took the first snap at quarterback today as there was very little team stuff done, though Cardale Jones and J.T. Barrett both confirmed that they flipped a coin to determine the first reps. Jones called heads and won.
Going forward their snaps will be evenly devided for now and Meyer has no plans to make the winner of the job public until the team takes the field Sept. 7 against Virginia Tech.
- Meyer said the reasoning behind splitting up the freshman in the morning and the veterans in the evening was to not overwhelm the young guys. By splitting up the young guys he can really focus on fundamentals and "eliminate anxiety."
- At this point Meyer is more worried about intensity than he is perfect form or technique.The first 10 practices are all about effort.
"It's bordering on insanity on how we are 'nine strong, nine strong, nine strong," Meyer said.
The coach added that if a player is asked to go hard for five yards he wants to see him go seven. It's all about the extra effort.
- When asked who was in line to replace Joey Bosa along the defensive line when the end serves his suspension against Virginia Tech, Meyer said that Tyquan Lewis has secured the spot opposite him and that guys like Sam Hubbard and Jayln Holmes look primed to step in.
Also of note, Meyer mentioned that linebacker Joshua Perry gives them flexibility with the defensive end position, though he didn't say exactly how the senior could potentially be used.