Buckeyes Fall In OT, Suffer 3rd Straight Loss

Despite a late, game-tying three from Keita Bates-Diop Ohio State fell in overtime 81-76 to Memphis to drop its third straight game.

New venue, same result.

Ohio State traveled to Miami to face Memphis Friday, the first team on their schedule that could match them athletically, but the Buckeyes suffered their third straight loss, falling to Memphis in overtime 81-76.

A three from Keita Bates-Diop with 57 seconds left tied the game for the ninth time, knotting things at 75 and forcing overtime, but the Buckeyes (2-3) couldn’t get over the hump once again despite holding a nine-point lead at one point in the second half.

Memphis (3-2) struck first in theovertime on a jumper from Shaq Goodwin and wouldn’t relinquish that advantage as Ohio State scored just one point, a Bates-Diop free throw, in the extra period.

The Tigers (3-2) led for just over 16 of the game’s 45 minutes, but was able to score when it mattered.

After Ohio State had a 37-35 advantage at the half and opened the second period on an 11-4 run that featured three threes on four possessions and appeared to take control with their biggest advantage of the night, 48-39.

Josh Pastner called a timeout and the Tigers responded with a 14-2 run to take a 53-50 lead, their first of the second half.

Unlike their first two losses of the season, the Buckeyes showed resolve in battling back after the Memphis run. A pair of Kam Williams threes and a layup from Lyle helped the Buckeyes regain the lead at 58-57 with 9:52 left and they would hold it until a layup from Dedric Lawson put Memphis back in front 68-67 with 5:50 left.

The Bates-Diop three would tie the game late, but the Buckeyes would not lead again.

Hamstrung down the stretch by foul trouble, Thad Matta was forced to use a small lineup as starting center Daniel Giddens and reserve Trevor Thompson were both fouled out with over two minutes remaining in regulation.

That contributed to the immense advantage that Memphis took at the free-throw line as the tigers made 28 from the charity stripe while Ohio State attempted just 19, making 11 of those attempts.

The Buckeyes struggled early as the Tigers opened the game on a 6-2 run, but consecutive threes from Lyle and Marc Loving gave Ohio State it’s first lead since the 19:47 mark of the second half of the UT-Arlington game, a stretch of 64 minutes and 17 seconds without an advantage on the scoreboard.

That Buckeye advantage stretched to 12-7, but a 3:56 scoring drought from Ohio State followed. Memphis scored just two points over that stretch, though, and the Buckeyes broke the dry spell with a jumper from A.J. Harris.

The teams would trade the lead five times before the first half was over.

The loss came despite a team-high 18 from Lyle, though the point guard missed all three of his attempts in overtime. He ended regulation 8-for-11 from the field and finished with eight assists. Marc Loving added 17 points while Bates-Diop had 10. Goodwin led all scorers with 23.

Buckeye Sports Top Stories