Ohio State held its first spring practice of the 2016 season Tuesday, March 8 and Urban Meyer met with the media to wrap up the first day of action and preview the next season of Buckeye football.
- Meyer said he expected high energy from his players, and that's what he got on day one of practice.
- Meyer said Austin Mack and Torrance Gibson are battling for the starting 'X' position.
- Erick Smith, Cam Burrows , Corey Smith, Noah Brown are people Meyer said by name that he is counting on to play in 2016 that are currrently missing time due to injury.
- Meyer said the three wide receivers that are hurt in Smith, Brown and Curtis Samuel will not participate at all in spring ball. K.J. Hill will be able to do everything but catch (has a heavy cast on his left arm), linebacker Justin Hilliard can do everything but tackle.
- Meyer said he is not sure whether he will have a two-deep depth chart set after spring practice. Mentioned injuries play a part in that.
- Meyer said he would like Brionte Dunn to "take the first swing" at the running back position. Added Mike Weber is pushing him.
- Dontre Wilson is hovering right around 200 pounds now according to Meyer. Meyer said he was at 198, bulked up with the idea that he will get more touches as RB and WR.
- According to Meyer, Samuel will also see time at running back and wide receiver, but is currently sitting out of portions of spring ball coming off of surgery.
- Meyer said he personally invited Jim Tressel to come to the Ohio State coaches clinic which is set to take place in the coming months.