Ohio State head football coach Urban Meyer addressed the media today after the Buckeyes sixth spring practice of 2016. Below are some of the main takeaways from his presser.
- Michael Jordan took first team reps today. Meyer said Jordan enjoys the game and “is really impressed” with him. Meyer said Isaiah Prince and Jamarco Jones are the starting tackles as of right now. Meyer mentioned Evan Lisle and Demetrius Knox as contenders at guard.
- Meyer said Joey Burrow “did just OK,” in his first scrimmage of the spring. Meyer noted that he didn’t have some of the better receivers to throw to with so many injuries. Noah Brown, Curtis Samuel, continue to sit out.
- Meyer said the students will watch the last hour of practice for Student Appreciation Day. Added Ohio State will have “some fun stuff” for them to do after practice is over. Meyer said Coach Lou Holtz will be in attendance and will speak to the students.
- After the 2014 national title, Meyer said “you have to have four” scholarship quarterbacks on your roster. This comes into play with the idea that Ohio State has targeted Texas A&M commit Tate Martell in the 2017 class despite the commitment from Danny Clark in the same class.
- Meyer said Bri’onte Dunn and Mike Weber are “neck-and-neck” in the competition at the running back spot. Meyer added Antonio Williams could be the first to lose his black stipe. Said “he is a tough nut.”
- Meyer said K.J. Hill almost played last year. He added he has looked good in spring ball.
- Meyer said the facilities at Ohio State help him greatly in recruiting. Said he wants to show players they deserve the best if they work for it. The statement comes after Ohio State made a statement that the university will be announcing a "comprehensive renovation project" later in the day on March 29.