Urban Meyer addressed the media after the first day of camp, which he said was more about evaluating than anything else. He said of the young players in the opening practice that he hopes they all play. He said he hopes to know what kind of team he has by practice No. 12.
Below are a few notes from Meyer's presser following the first day of fall camp.
- Meyer said athleticism is "not an issue" with the team right now. Said that the mantra for the team in 2016 is "The Edge."
- He said he hopes to have a starting lineup and depth chart said by around practice 12 or 13.
- Meyer said the new social media rule which allows coaches to retweet players on Twitter does not change much of how he and his staff approach recruiting. He added it is more for the players than anything else.
- Meyer said having J.T. Barrett as the set in stone starter has done a lot for the team and the staff in terms of evaluating other players. He added they have done more leadership training this offseason than ever before.
- Meyer said the opening practice for the freshmen was more to teach them how practice works rather than development. Said that practice went very slow.
- Meyer said punter Drue Chrisman is currently paying his own way to attend school, but is still Ohio State's backup punter.
- He said that this years camp is different. "I don't want to screw it up," he said. Added it is also exciting as a new challenge presents itself.
- Meyer said Dontre Wilson is up to 198 pounds. Said he welcomed back injured players and recent graduates during practice in front of the whole team because he was excited to see them back. Noah Brown and Corey Smith were also in that group.