When the Ohio State men's basketball team lost to Rutgers last week in the first round of the Big Ten tournament, talk regarding OSU junior center Trevor Thompson's future began to emerge.
A report by Kyle Neddenriep of the Indianapolis Star came out on Saturday, saying that Thompson (7-0, 250) would forgo his senior season and declare for the upcoming NBA draft. That same day, Thompson's father told The Columbus Dispatch that his son was going to wait until the season officially came to an end before making a decision.
When the Buckeyes didn't receive a bid to the National Invitation Tournament on Sunday night, that all but signaled the conclusion of the 2016-17 campaign. Less than 48 hours later, it appears Thompson has made his decision.
"I feel I am ready to take the next step," Thompson told ESPN. "I am close to graduating and want to devote everything I can to my dream of playing in the NBA."
Thompson, who transferred from Virginia Tech, averaged 10.6 points, 9.2 rebounds and 1.5 blocks in 23 minutes per game with the Buckeyes during the 2016-17 season. The native of Indianapolis also recorded 11 double-doubles this season while playing all 32 games.
Following his sophomore year, Thompson took advantage of the NCAA rule that allows underclassmen to declare for the NBA draft and work out while maintaining their collegiate eligibility should they decide to return, so long as they do not hire an agent. Will he do that again this offseason? Only time will tell.
The 2017 NBA draft is June 22.
If you enjoyed this story, you will love Buckeye Sports Bulletin, the newspaper “For The Buckeye Fan Who Needs To Know More” since 1981. For four free trial issues of Buckeye Sports Bulletin with no obligation, click here.