The Ohio State Alumni Team Is Set To Compete In The Basketball Tournament

Former Ohio State basketball players will play for a chance to win $2 million.

The Basketball Tournament officially announced Tuesday 60 of the 64 teams that will be participating in its single-elimination event. 

Scarlet & Gray, the Ohio State alumni team, made the cut.

Former Ohio State players listed on the Scarlet & Gray roster are William Buford, Aaron Craft, Jon Diebler, Dallas Lauderdale, David Lighty, Greg Oden and Evan Ravenel, all of whom played for former Buckeye basketball head coach Thad Matta. 

Nate Miller, a product of Bowling Green, and Leon Rodgers, a Northern Illinois alum, are on the roster as well. According to ESPN, former Ole Miss shooting guard Marshall Henderson, forward Murphy Holloway and guard Chris Warren will also be on the team.

Former Buckeye All-America guard Scoonie Penn is the general manager.

Just like the NCAA Tournament, the field will be split up into four regions. Scarlet & Gray will be in the Midwest region, played at Bradley University in Peoria, Ill., July 15-16. A few clubs joining the OSU squad in the Midwest include alumni teams representing Iowa State, Kansas State and Marquette. 

Four teams from each region will move on to the Super 16 in New York on July 20-23. The national semifinals and championship game will be played in Baltimore Aug. 1-3.

The OSU squad qualified for TBT via the fan vote. Nine teams in each bracket made it through the fan vote while another six were “at-large” bids that were chosen by TBT’s selection committee. 

The final squad in each region will be get in through TBT Jamboree, a play-in event in Philadelphia June 17-18 in which 16 teams buy their way into a bracket for $5,000. Eight clubs have entered the jamboree so far, none of which are in the OSU alumni team’s region.

The squad that proves victorious in the championship game will receive 90 percent of the $2 million prize. The remaining 10 percent will be divided among the top 100 voters of the winning team. 

All games will either be televised on ESPN or ESPN2 or streamed on WatchESPN.com. This will be the fourth year of TBT.

If you enjoyed this story, you will love Buckeye Sports Bulletin, the newspaper “For The Buckeye Fan Who Needs To Know More” since 1981. For four free trial issues of Buckeye Sports Bulletin with no obligation, click here.


Buckeye Sports Top Stories