Schoenhoft only got to stay for a half because he had to get back home for a basketball scrimmage. But he was impressed with everything he saw at the Horseshoe.
"The leadership Troy Smith showed was unbelievable out there," Schoenhoft said. "Ted Ginn and all of their athletes did a great job. They should have a great future. People had dismissed him and the quarterback position, but he gave all he could.
"The athletes they have at the receiver position blows my mind. Ted Ginn will only be a sophomore next year. He goes hard every play and it is awesome to see him out there playing. Then, they have some other great athletes like Santonio Holmes and Anthony Gonzalez. He is really coming on as well."
As things stand, Schoenhoft would enroll at OSU next fall. He would fall in line behind Smith and Justin Zwick, who would each be juniors, as well as Todd Boeckman, who would be a redshirt freshman next year.
"I just want to come to Ohio State and try to make (Smith) better," Schoenhoft said. "I'm just going to try and work as hard as I can, whether I'm on the scout team or trying to compete for the starting job. I understand that is very unlikely, but I would be happy to be a part of it."
Schoenhoft helped lead St. X to an 11-1 record (see his stats below). The Bombers fell to Cincinnati Moeller in a second round playoff game after beating Moeller during the regular season.
"You never want to lose," Schoenhoft said. "It was unfortunate, but we were among the top 16 teams still playing in Division I. It's too bad we weren't able to make it to the next round.
"I think I have developed this year. I want to camps this summer and worked with coaches who are NFL-level coaches. Back here at St. X, we also have great coaches. I think they have done a great job of developing me as a leader and a person. St. X is an unbelievable school. I hope to carry that leadership ability with me to Ohio State."
Schoenhoft said he enjoyed spending time with fellow recruits before the game.
"It was a really good time," he said. "I got spend time with Todd Denlinger and Kevin Bemoll from California and also Brian Hartline. It was good to meet some of those offensive and defensive linemen I'll be playing with at Ohio State.
"I also talked to (Kentucky prospect) James McKinney. I got a pretty good indication he was just coming here to see the game. He pretty much said he'll decide between Michigan and Louisville."
Schoenhoft said he has a B average at St. X. He has scored a 24 on the ACT.
Here is a look at his game-by-game statistics from his senior year (taken from the Cincinnati St. Xavier web site):
* Aug. 28, vs. Lakewood St. Edward (at UC's Nippert Stadium) -- L 23-17 (game later forfeited to St. X), 4 of 11 passing, 0 INTs, 91 yards, 1 TD, 2 carries for minus-3 yards.
* Sept. 3, vs. Indianapolis Cathedral -- W 21-14, did not play due to injury.
* Sept. 10, vs. Columbus DeSales -- W 21-10, did not play due to injury.
* Sept. 17, at Westerville North -- W 47-10, 8 of 17 passing, 0 INTs, 180 yards, 1 TD, 1 carry for 1 yard and 1TD.
* Sept. 24, vs. Cincinnati Moeller -- W 35-31, 11 of 18 passing, 1 INT, 143 yards, 2 TDs, 7 carries for 25 yards and 1 TD.
* Oct. 1, at Cincinnati Elder -- W 33-30 (2 OT), 13 of 21 passing, 1 INT, 193 yards, 1 TD, 8 carries for 8 yards and 1 TD.
* Oct. 8, at Cincinnati LaSalle -- W 34-20, 8 of 13 passing, 0 INTs, 109 yards, 2 TDs, 7 carries for minus-24 yards.
* Oct. 16, vs. Athol Springs (N.Y.) St. Francis -- W 27-0, 9 of 15 passing, 0 INTs, 174 yards, 3 TDs, 1 carry for minus-2 yards.
* Oct. 23, vs. Cleveland St. Ignatius -- W 13-10, 13 of 30 passing, 1 INT, 174 yards, 1 TD, 6 carries for 2 yards.
* Oct. 29, vs. Hamilton -- W 42-6, 6 of 14 passing, 0 INTs, 95 yards, 2 TDs, no carries.
* Nov. 6, vs. Cincinnati LaSalle (regional quarterfinals) -- W 14-3, 11 of 24 passing, 0 INTs, 62 yards, 1 TD, 4 carries for 6 yards and 1 TD.
* Nov. 13, vs. Cincinnati Moeller (regional semifinals at UC's Nippert Stadium) -- 5 of 19 passing, 3 INTs, 47 yards, 0 TDs, 6 carries for 20 yards.
* Season Totals -- 88 of 182 passing (48.4 percent), 6 INTs, 1,268 yards, 14 TDs, 42 carries for 31 yards and 4 TDs.