Week 2 Highlights
* Centerville downed Cincinnati Princeton 21-17 as Jason Combs scored the winning TD on a 1-yard run with 3:56 remaining.
* Euclid, playing without LB Thaddeus Gibson who was ejected a week earlier, knocked off Strongsville 21-15. Euclid's Jamen Javey carried 28 times for 161 yards and two TDs.
* Cincinnati Winton Woods downed West Chester Lakota West 38-10. Junior RB Hosea Simpson had 124 yards and two TDs on 26 carries.
* Cincinnati McNicholas QB David Klonne threw for 125 yards and ran for a touchdown in his team's 21-7 win over Loveland. The win gave Klonne's dad, coach Steve Klonne, his first win since leaving Cincinnati Moeller in 2000.
* Pickerington Central junior QB Chazz Anderson completed 17 of 29 passes for 263 yards and two TDs in a 29-0 win over Canal Winchester.
* Westerville South junior QB Rocco Pentello completed 12 of 18 passes for 209 yards and four TDs in a 38-0 win over Toledo Whitmer. RB Elijah Griffin added 182 yards and a TD on 14 carries for South.
* Hilliard Davidson RB Christen Haywood had 166 yards and one TD on 28 carries in a 34-10 win over Mason.
* Coldwater's Ross Homan, an OSU verbal, ran for 138 yards (including a 17-yard TD) on 16 carries in his team's 38-7 win over Marian Stein Marion Local. Coldwater is No. 1 in Division IV.
* Clayton Northmont, with OSU verbal CB Kurt Coleman, blasted Cincinnati LaSalle 42-7. Clay Belton threw for 341 yards and six TDs for Claymont. LaSalle played without starting QB Tyler Sheehan, a Bowling Green verbal who broke his collarbone late in his team's season opening win. Sheehan may miss up to eight games.
* Springboro TE Jake Ballard, an OSU verbal, had five catches for 73 yards in a 35-13 win over Cincinnati Sycamore. QB Clay Coomer completed 17-of-29 passes for 194 yards and one TD.
* Delphos St. John's stunned St. Henry 7-3. Curtis Laudick capped an 11-play, 93-yard fourth quarter scoring march with an 11-yard TD run to help give DSJ the win. St. Henry is No. 2 in Division V, while DSJ is No. 1 in Division VI.
* Canton GlenOak got a two-point conversion in overtime to defeat Akron Garfield 41-40. GlenOak QB Mike Hartline threw for 155 yards and also rushed for 103 yards and five scores. Garfield RB Chris Wells, an OSU verbal, showed no ill effects from a leg injury suffered in week 1. He had 25 carries for 263 yards and five touchdowns.
* Akron Buchtel QB Rayshon Dent threw for 120 yards and two TDs in an 18-10 win over Warren Harding, ranked No. 4 in Division I. Buchtel is ranked fourth in Division III.
* Canal Fulton Northwest RB Scott Weber had 100 yards and sophomore QB C.J. Law threw for 158 yards and one TD in a 29-12 win over Columbus Eastmoor. Northwest is ranked third in Division III.
* Lakewood St. Edward RB Frank Edmonds rushed for 134 yards and four TDs on 12 carries in a 45-14 win over Shaker Heights. St. Ed is ranked seventh in Division I.
* Cleveland Glenville RB Bruce Friesen had 129 yards and three TDs in a 41-26 win over Columbus Brookhaven. Ray Small also had a 53-yard TD catch and a 90-yard kick return touchdown for Glenville, ranked No. 1 in Division I. Jeff Cumberland caught a 46-yard TD pass from QB Mike McGee for Brookhaven, whose 16-game winning streak was snapped. Brookhaven, the defending Division II state champions, is ranked 10th in Division I.
* Cleveland St. Ignatius QB Rudy Kirbus threw for three TDs, including two to John Ryan, in a 32-0 win over Youngstown Boardman. St. Ignatius is No. 2 in Division I.
* Mentor Lake Catholic QB Rick Stanzi completed 16 of 32 passes for 214 yards and three TDs and also rushed for 92 yards and two scores in a 41-27 win over Cleveland Benedictine, the defending Division III state champion and ranked second. RB Jahmal Brown had 170 yards and three TDs for Benedictine. MLC is ranked fifth in Division III.
* Solon RB Brandon Shimits had a pair of TD runs in a 33-0 win over Medina.
* Cincinnati Colerain, ranked No. 3 in Division I, rebounded from an opening week loss to Cincinnati St. Xavier and defeated Ft. Thomas (Ky.) Highlands 45-14 at Cincinnati's Paul Brown Stadium. Colerain quarterback Gary Pride and running back Terrence Sherrer each scored twice, and Eugene Clifford returned a punt 86 yards for a score. Pride finished with 129 yards rushing, while Sherrer had 104. Attendance was estimated at about 10,000 for the game, the marquee event of the four-game Prep Classic.
* Massillon Washington DB Troy Ellis intercepted five passes and recovered a fumble in his team's 35-31 win over Cincinnati Elder at Cincinnati's Paul Brown Stadium. Junior RB Brian Gamble added 147 yards and two TDs on 12 carries. The teams played for the first time since 1956 and Massillon increased its series lead to 5-0.
* Cincinnati Moeller, ranked fifth in Division I, downed Covington (Ky.) Catholic 16-6. Moeller sacked CovCath passers 11 times and got 132 yards and two touchdowns on 26 carries from RB Martez Williams.
* Quarterback Sean Patterson plunged into the end zone twice to lift Toledo St. John's Jesuit to a 20-17 victory over Columbus DeSales. Patterson finished with 127 yards on 26 carries and was 11-of-21 for 115 yards passing. DeAndre Ware was St. John's leading rusher with 157 yards gained on 30 carries. DeSales is the No. 1 team in Division III.
* Sherwood Fairwood's Ryan Radcliff hit 28 of 58 passes for 414 yards and six touchdowns in a 42-22 win over Woodmore.
* Findlay ended a nine-game losing streak to Dublin Coffman with a 14-12 decision last night. Caleb Enright ran 2 yards for one score and Chris Schneider hit Zack Krauss for a 19-yard score.
Week 3 Games To Watch
The big event is the inaugural Kirk Herbstreit Ohio vs. USA Challenge, which pits Cincinnati Colerain against Tyler (Texas) Robert E. Lee in a match-up of state champions Friday at Columbus Crew Stadium. That game will be at 9 p.m. and will be preceded by a 5:45 p.m. game between Westerville South and Westerville North.
Ohio News Network will continue its Big Game series by televising Friday's game between Dublin Scioto and Worthington Kilbourne on tape delay at 10 p.m. Kilbourne downed Scioto 17-13 in the playoffs last year.
More games of note Friday: Cleveland Glenville at Cleveland Collinwood, Marietta at Canton GlenOak, West Chester Lakota West at Cincinnati Anderson, Centerville at Clayton Northmont, Grafton Midview at Macedonia Nordonia, Akron Garfield at Green, Coldwater at New Bremen, Riverside Stebbins at Springboro, Columbus Walnut Ridge at Columbus Brookhaven, Massillon Washington at Mansfield Senior, Uniontown Lake at Canton McKinley, Akron Buchtel at Cuyahoga Falls Walsh Jesuit and Cincinnati St. Xavier at Columbus DeSales.
Games of note Saturday: Cincinnati Moeller at Toledo St. Francis, Marietta at Canton GlenOak, Cincinnati Princeton at Shaker Heights, Euclid at Cleveland Benedictine, Strongsville at Warren Harding and Washington (D.C.) Theodore Roosevelt at Bellaire.
OSU Verbal Outside Ohio
Fort Valley (Ga.) Peach County dropped a 19-12 decision at Montgomery (Ala.) Carver to fall to 0-2. QB Antonio Henton, an OSU verbal, had a 1-yard TD run for Peach County, which visits Houston County on Friday.